• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Body lift limits

Messages
8
Location
NC
I'm new to this scene, and I'm interested in putting a body lift on my H2. I am interested in the 3" lift kit, but will anything need to be modified to complete the lift such as brake lines, wheel speed sensors, drive shaft, steering shaft?
 

twinmill28

Spilled Milk
Messages
1,545
Location
El Centro, Mehico (Way So Cal)
Why do a body lift when you can do a suspension lift?

Body lift is cheaper, doesn't require new wheels to accommodate required offset, personal preference, blah blah blah.

Or maybe they are new to the truck scene and don't know what's available in suspension lifts.

With that said, you can easily put 37" tires on a non-lifted 2 and gain instant satisfaction in killer looks and maintain factory ride. You can torsion bar lift the front to level it which is still relatively inexpensive and looks great. Or as said, you can do an actual suspension lift, normal lift heights are 4-6" with taller lifts available and more involved and pricey.

My understanding for H2's is normally 1 to 2" for body lift, 3" can get to looking ugly when you separate the body that far from the frame and it requires more modification of components that need to be connected--steering, brakes, wiring.

With that said, what are you in for?
 

Big2dabank

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,220
Location
Central Florida
You will not find a body lift for an H2 so you will have to adapt another kit, meaning you will not get the parts required to adjust the bumpers, fill the wheel well gaps, etc.. So you will have to resort to some custom mods to adjust the bumpers, especially if you go 2" or 3", you will have some pretty large gaps. I am running 38s with 2" coil spacers in the rear and torsion bars leveling kit up front. I get complements from people all the time on the setup. The ride quality is not as great as factory because the torsion bars are cranked a little more than what is typical, but its still comfortable to drive and I can still stuff the tires under full compression with very little rubbing in the fenders.
attachment.php


attachment.php


attachment.php
 

Big2dabank

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,220
Location
Central Florida
That is one nice looking H2 there with the 38" tires.

Thanks, she has been a really great truck. 220,000 miles, still looking and running great. Best vehicle I have ever owned hands down. In my honest opinion, I think this is one of the best set ups for an H2 without having to do a full lift kit. I still have a few minor tweaks on the suspension I want to do, but the stance, ground clearance and performance on the 38 inch tires is hard to beat.
 

GreatDaneHummer

Well-Known Member
Messages
994
Location
Chicago
Thanks, she has been a really great truck. 220,000 miles, still looking and running great. Best vehicle I have ever owned hands down. In my honest opinion, I think this is one of the best set ups for an H2 without having to do a full lift kit. I still have a few minor tweaks on the suspension I want to do, but the stance, ground clearance and performance on the 38 inch tires is hard to beat.

If I was ever going to do an H2 build it would either be all out like the SAS Dana 80's that someone has done on here or a Bulletproof setup like this:

H2 lift.jpg

This entire truck just looks great!
 

Big2dabank

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,220
Location
Central Florida
Thats thing is a beast, personal preference for me is a setup with the lowest center of gravity possible with the largest tire size possible given ground clearance needs for whatever type of wheeling you do. I have seriously considered a straight axle, but in all honesty, I haven't found a real need for it around Florida, so the expense is not justified in my mind. Its all really a matter of taste and budget, but even if I had unlimited funds, I'd still keep the H2 the way it is because I love how versatile it has been as a daily driver, trail rig and overall solid expedition vehicle for camping and backwoods adventures with my kids. So if I wanted to step up to more serious stuff, I would just buy a dedicated rig like a Scorpion from Dwaine at Preferred Chassis Fabrication or get a tube buggy fabbed up locally.
 
Top