• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

CB Radio..Whats a good brand...Recommendations, Advice, etc.

BlueSteeleHorse07

Well-Known Member
Messages
163
Location
Central Texas
Folks, I might be beating a dead horse with this question, but I have to ask.

Looking to purchase a CB radio and antenna, will be used for the following:

1. Short distance travel, i.e., Oklahoma, Louisiana, Wisconsin, Georgia (wife loves those casinos) especially Windstar in Oklahoma, get a lot of free nights,
2. Off-roading ( I had enough of those handhelds),
3. Emergency situations (just in case, keep forgetting to bring my damn vehicle cell phone charger),

I used to be an Over-the-Road (OTR) trucker for Schneider Trucking. I had a Uniden for my 18 wheeler and a Cobra for my truck.

CB Radio characteristics:

1. Not to large that it literally advertises itself, too many crooks out there,
2. But not too small, that I need a magnifying glass to read the freaking channels,
3. Must be black, no bling, bling,

Antenna characteristics:

1. Removable from mount (park the deuce in the garage every night),
2. Must be tall enough to clear the truck to get reception (the mount purchased from Scarsman is mounted on the top of the exterior tire carrier),
3. Black in color (got to mention that, no red, no white, etc)

Interior Mount: will purchase from Rubberduck4X4 (no drilling required),
Exterior Mount: Just now purchased from Scarsman,
Structure Integrity: Must be able to take a licking when and if I accidently spill my coffee…gotta have my java..24..7..365,
Installation/Tuning: will be done by a CB shop (no DIY here)

And any other characteristics you feel that is important.

Thanks,
Dan (BSH07)
 

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Messages
10,672
Location
Scottsdale
Antennas: I'm a fan of the Firestick setups. Determine the antenna length by where you mount the antenna - the more you have above the roofline the better your reception will be. Sounds like you do want it to work a good distance with highway travel. Many suggest at least 2/3 above the roofline.

A spring mount helps with flexibility. A quick disconnect help with . . . disconnecting quickly. However, I suspect (but haven't taken the time to prove) that using both at the same time will make it harder to tune the antenna. The frequency is carefully set up by a specific cable length of 9' or 18', and the antennas have a specific length of wire (18', I believe) wound within their assembly. Adding the spring and/or disconnect changes the length and alters the frequency. There's obviously room to tune for one of those items, but both might be difficult.

I use a spring mount, and it's mounted to my roof rack. It's a threaded base and I just screw it on/off by hand. I don't tighten with a wrench and it's never worked loose on the highway or offroad.

I tend to break the internals of my Firestik II every year from hitting trees, etc. It's flexible but can still break. I know it's broken when CB transmissions take a dump and on one can hear me. I tried the equivalent Wilson one and I broke it in a month. Other probably have stories that are exactly the opposite, but that's my history.

Mounting to the roof rack, I use the Firestick mirror mount. Get a good quality cable too and be sure to not crimp it or accidentally cut it. For example, I've had to run the cable over and around the door seal so it does get hit by the door all of the time, but it's lasted. I had a windshield installer take the liberty of putting the cable under the door seal so it sat hard against the tight metal crimp. The cable broke quickly.

Quick disconnect and spring.

Wherever you choose to install, make sure the mounting spot has a good ground. When I had mine mounted on the rear door of the H3, I found I did not have a good ground to the door. The was tested but checking continuity to the frame from the mounting spot. Once I ran a ground strap from the door to the body of the truck, I was able to get good continuity by performing the same test. Others have had luck w/o the ground strap.

As for CB, I think that decision starts with where and how you want to mount it. I've had mine mounted on the dash for years w/o issues. The H2 has more locations to mount a full size CB. This one might be too blingy for you. I like the full size radios for their extra features, (often) better sound and in models like this one, a built in SWR meter for tuning w/o having to go to a shop (like after breaking an antenna).
i-pwqz4HS-L.jpg
 

BlueSteeleHorse07

Well-Known Member
Messages
163
Location
Central Texas
Rubberduck4X4 has a CB mount that mounts on the dash above the two center air vents, no drilling required, according to their description statement.

Thanks, Alrock

Danny
 

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
Messages
2,288
Location
Raleigh, NC
I have a Firestick with spring and quick disconnect. It tuned with absolutely zero problems. Granted that the slantback helps with antenna clearance. I actually have a short one (3'), that fits in parking structures, for everyday use, and very long one (6') for better reception. The long didn't need any tuning, but the short did.

A8AE8F31-9C62-4045-8D36-22F0BB810586-3447-000000B44B2D3EAC.jpg


"Ex Umbris Venimus"
 
Last edited:

BlueSteeleHorse07

Well-Known Member
Messages
163
Location
Central Texas
Firestick it is, think I'll get my cousin who's an OTR driver and get him to buy one at the Schneider's travel camp, I believe they still give their drivers discount, if not I still got my CDL, see if I can get one from the truck stop at a discount rate.

Now I just have to shop around for a CB radio, it seems that Cobra is a good brand but kinda of looking at the Uniden Bearcat (I think that's what it called).

Thanks Everyone (Poncho1965, Alrock, and ReconH3)

ReconH3, anyone ever tell you that is one good looking rig you got there; maybe I can get Scarsman to custom build me a water can holder for my deuce when I get the chance to go off-roading again, must have my priority straight, water can = never running out of coffee on the trail :thumbs: won't make that mistake again.

Dan
 

08H3

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,368
Location
United States
...1. Not to large that it literally advertises itself, too many crooks out there, ...
Make sure they don't get your 8-track too! :) Just messing with you, but I seriously haven't heard of a CB theft around here since the early '80s since they fell out of the mainstream. Good luck with your install. It's something I've been needing to do as well, but keep dragging my feet.
 

BlueSteeleHorse07

Well-Known Member
Messages
163
Location
Central Texas
make sure they don't get your 8-track too! :) just messing with you, but i seriously haven't heard of a cb theft around here since the early '80s since they fell out of the mainstream. Good luck with your install. It's something i've been needing to do as well, but keep dragging my feet.

lol:)
 

MaxPF

AGNTSA
Messages
1,394
Location
The dark side of the globe
I have no real preference for CB radio brands. For antennas I will go against the grain: I don't like Firestiks or any other solid fiberglass antenna at all. I personally run a Wilson 1000. I have also wiped out a couple whips on trees due to lack of a spring base. Wilson doesn't offer one, but I discovered that the Larsen spring mounts work on a Wilson base. You can either drill out the Larsen mount to fir the fatter Wilson whip, or remove the Larsen mount and screw the Wilson tower onto it. The spring base solves the problem of wadding up the antenna in trees and such. Another option is the smaller Wilson 500, or the even smaller Little Wil. You will still want a spring mount on either.

Another option is the Larsen NMO 27B. Again, use the optional spring mount. One caveat with the Larsen antenna: it is an NMO mount antenna. This means you must install an NMO mount (rather than the PL-259 mount that the Wilson antennas use). The Larsen base is fairly small, and the whip is thin and unobtrusive. However, like the Little Wil and various fiberglass antennas, it won't have the gain of the larger Wilson 1000. In all cases these antennas unscrew from their mounts, and weather caps are available to keep dirt and moisture out of the mount when the antenna is removed.

Alex mentioned the 18' cable myth that's rampant in CB land. It is just that: a myth. Most cables are sold at that length with ends already on them, but if you are making up your own cable (not reccomended for most folks) it can be any arbitrary length. The tuning is entirely within the antenna - it must be resonant at the intended frequency of use. In fact, coax cable is quite lossy, so the less of it there is between the radio and antenna the better.
 

LagunaH1

Well-Known Member
Messages
3,730
Location
Idaho
I know this isn't what the OP asked and I may get a bit of flak for this but... If you want a quality radio, a quality signal and good quality range of your signal, go get a HAM license and then get a VHF / UHF radio.

Edit: I'd also argue that HAM is *much* better suited for any type of emergency communications than CB due to it's superior range and the ability to use repeaters which may have land line phone (auto patch) capabilities and other HAM's listening
 
Last edited:

MaxPF

AGNTSA
Messages
1,394
Location
The dark side of the globe
I know this isn't what the OP asked and I may get a bit of flak for this but... If you want a quality radio, a quality signal and good quality range of your signal, go get a HAM license and then get a VHF / UHF radio.

Edit: I'd also argue that HAM is *much* better suited for any type of emergency communications than CB due to it's superior range and the ability to use repeaters which may have land line phone (auto patch) capabilities and other HAM's listening

You won't get flak from me - I agree 110%. Todd and I run 70cm simplex on the trail, and we get far greater range than CB. As a bonus, audio quality is BETTER than cell phones if you are at or near full quieting, which is usually the case.
 

skeptic

Well-Known Member
Messages
737
Location
Orygun
I know it's a handheld, but I like the Midland 75-822. You can use it with a battery pack and attached antenna, or connect it to an external antenna and run it off the vehicles power. Because it's all built into a essentially a large mic the install should be much easier than a standard unit. Since you only want to use it on trips, not an every day thing, you can keep it in the glove box or center console when not in use.

Another possibility that I was looking into before I sold my H3T - replace the stock stereo with a single din head unit plus a Cobra 18WXSTII. This seems to be a very popular CB for those wanting to put a CB and stereo head until into a double din space. It's the right size plus has a front facing speaker.
 

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
Messages
2,288
Location
Raleigh, NC
I also run a Cobra 75. Very practical, but a bit of a crap shoot. The ones that work are great. Some just die and you have to return them. I've had many Yaesu in the past, and plan to get one again once o get my HAM license.


"Ex Umbris Venimus"
 

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Messages
10,672
Location
Scottsdale
I burned up 2 Cobra 75s before I moved to a traditional CB. I keep the Midland handheld as a backup/loaner CB.
 

Highatop

Well-Known Member
Messages
600
Location
Florissant, Co.
Mine, A Cobra 75 and 4' Firestick2. I installed the connecter under my steerin wheel firewall and I tuck the CB between my seat and console. Its out of the way and protected when not usein. And I installed my Firestick on the rear bumper driverside. I do live in the mtns, so a CB is still limited due to that. But, works great while wheelin.
Also, I'm new to havin a CB and I went w/ size. So it could be out of the way. Mine is still less then a year old.
Good luck and keep us posted
 

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
Messages
2,288
Location
Raleigh, NC
My favorite part about the Cobra 75 is that you wouldn't even know that I have a CB in there.

That's exactly why I got. I know they're not the most reliable, but that's what the Yaesu will be for. I also have a back up Radio Shack handheld that doubles up as guests radio for vehicles that don't have one on an outing, and also for spotter so we can communicate without screaming or don't have line of sight comms.


"Ex Umbris Venimus"
 

MaxPF

AGNTSA
Messages
1,394
Location
The dark side of the globe
I guess I never mentioned it, but I am running an ancient Radio Shack TRC-485:

hqdefault.jpg


This is actually the same radio as the RoadPro Titan 2:

Titan%20Roadpro%20II%20RSPY-485%201%20(6)%20(Small).JPG


I needs some work (front buttons replaced, pots cleaned), but it's worthwhile since it can easily be modded to work in the 10M and 12M bands (although it is still channelized when so modded :( ) and has SSB capability. Plus it's a nice looking radio. It looks more like ham gear than a CB :)
 

chaos254

Well-Known Member
Messages
577
Location
United States
Any recommendations for antennas? Im going to be mounting mine between the rear door and spare tire. I think I want to go 3ft but cant decide if I should go with a flex antenna or not. That will leave me about 1.5ft over the roof. Friend of mine is telling me wilson. Firestik has mixed reviews. Some people hate them and others love them. Saw on some other forums recommending everhardt
 
Last edited:
Top