I pulled the silencer off to clean the throttle body and found this:
Since I had already bought the parts to make a DIY intake, I went ahead and got started.
The parts mostly came from Home Depot.
3" schedule 40 45-degree bell end elbow - $12.15
3" rubber coupling (came with clamps) quantity 2 - $12.88
1/2"x1/2" brass hose barb - $4.93
16oz NOS energy drink - $2.48
From NAPA:
1.5' 1/2" heater hose and two hose clamps - $4.12
I cut the bell end off the 45-degree elbow, drilled a hole in it for the host barb and deburred/cleaned everything. I started the hose barb hole with the largest normal drill bit I had, then slowly opened it up with the drill and some hand files until I could just get the barb to start threading in. My smallest hole saw is 1", so that was a bit too big. I let it cut its own threads and snugged it up with a ratchet.
Cut the 1/2" hose to length and clamp everything down. It took me about 20 minutes and cost around $35.
Initial readings from the butt dyno reveal absolutely no change in acceleration. It does idle better now though since it's not sucking in extra air at the throttle body. At this time I don't think there's really any reason to do this unless you have something broken like I did and it's potentially cheaper or more convenient than a factory part.
I'll paint it later just to make it blend in a little. Or more than likely not. Who am I kidding?
Since I had already bought the parts to make a DIY intake, I went ahead and got started.
The parts mostly came from Home Depot.
3" schedule 40 45-degree bell end elbow - $12.15
3" rubber coupling (came with clamps) quantity 2 - $12.88
1/2"x1/2" brass hose barb - $4.93
16oz NOS energy drink - $2.48
From NAPA:
1.5' 1/2" heater hose and two hose clamps - $4.12
I cut the bell end off the 45-degree elbow, drilled a hole in it for the host barb and deburred/cleaned everything. I started the hose barb hole with the largest normal drill bit I had, then slowly opened it up with the drill and some hand files until I could just get the barb to start threading in. My smallest hole saw is 1", so that was a bit too big. I let it cut its own threads and snugged it up with a ratchet.
Cut the 1/2" hose to length and clamp everything down. It took me about 20 minutes and cost around $35.
Initial readings from the butt dyno reveal absolutely no change in acceleration. It does idle better now though since it's not sucking in extra air at the throttle body. At this time I don't think there's really any reason to do this unless you have something broken like I did and it's potentially cheaper or more convenient than a factory part.
I'll paint it later just to make it blend in a little. Or more than likely not. Who am I kidding?