• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Gibson Dual Exhaust - H3 Alpha

H3-ALPHA

Member
Messages
15
Location
Qatar - Doha
I bought my H3 Alpha with a voucher of a Gibson Dual Exhaust. I will be getting it next week. I am worried in case it causes drone inside the cabin.
anyone has previous experience with this type of exhausts? I search the net, some says that it causes no drone at all and is recommended, others posted bad reviews due to the sound and drone.

:roll::roll::huh:
 
S

SedonaBound

Guest
Make sure the installer is aware of the droning risk; he may have methods to prevent or reduce it. And he can remove the OEM exhaust carefully in case it has to go back on.
 
Messages
1,248
Location
New Jersey
Exactly what SedonaBound said! Make sure that the installer cuts nothing on your OEM muffler system! Well he can cut the bolts, because those usually are all rusted out anyway!
 

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Messages
10,670
Location
Scottsdale
I don't know about the Alpha but there's a fair amount of drone with my I5 and the Gibson. The resonator is removed in the installation of the Gibson for the I5, which causes both the drone and the nicer sound of the Gibson.
 
S

SedonaBound

Guest
Just bumping this to see how/if it worked out. A sound clip would be cool.
 

SuperBuickGuy

Well-Known Member
Messages
3,403
Location
Woodinville, WA
Drones are illegal around airports and most government installation - you'll probably want to be sure you've solved the drone problem before you get near them.
 

whylee

Well-Known Member
Messages
98
Location
Reno NV
I have no idea how the Gibson system sounds, but my supercharged Alpha has the back 2 cats removed, and 2 1/2 pipe run from there to a flowmaster and then out the back. I have zero drone at any speed.
 

derian06

Red Rockett
Messages
1,866
Location
Madison, AL
I have no idea how the Gibson system sounds, but my supercharged Alpha has the back 2 cats removed, and 2 1/2 pipe run from there to a flowmaster and then out the back. I have zero drone at any speed.

Did you listen to it just without the cats by anychance?
 

RamRod

Well-Known Member
Messages
3,914
Location
AB, Canada
I have no idea how the Gibson system sounds, but my supercharged Alpha has the back 2 cats removed, and 2 1/2 pipe run from there to a flowmaster and then out the back. I have zero drone at any speed.
Weird I have the exact same setup and deff have drone, only really notice it in the back seats though
 

whylee

Well-Known Member
Messages
98
Location
Reno NV
Once the rear cats were removed we ran it just to hear what it would sound like, it was loud and obnoxious. It sounds nice now. I wish it had alittle deeper sound to it, but its so much better than stock. I fabbed up a CAI for it, since the Magnacharger retains the stock air box. Its nice now, I can really hear the supercharger when its into boost, before I never heard it.
 

whylee

Well-Known Member
Messages
98
Location
Reno NV
Got pics of your CAI setup??


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I will get some picks. I basically used a K&N CAI set up for a H3 with the I5 and cut the tube down. You can get the silicon elbows in different sizes at most Auto parts stores here. It sure works better than the stock box. I had to get the tune readjusted, it made that much difference.
Im sure it was because After the Supercharger install, I had it tuned, then I removed the rear cats and ran 2 1/2 inch pipe through out, then I did the CAI. SO im sure it was a combination of adding a free flow exhaust and air intake after the initial tune. But it sure woke it up.
 
D

Dennis

Guest
I bought my H3 Alpha with a voucher of a Gibson Dual Exhaust. I will be getting it next week. I am worried in case it causes drone inside the cabin.
anyone has previous experience with this type of exhausts? I search the net, some says that it causes no drone at all and is recommended, others posted bad reviews due to the sound and drone.

:roll::roll::huh:
I've had a Gibson Cat-back since my H3 was new back in 2006..I Love the sound and not too much of a droner either..real mellow at cruising speeds...You can expect some from the low frequency note it makes...any Aftermarket exhaust will...Enjoy!
 
Top