• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Hello! New owner in Indiana, and a few questions

Esser

Member
Messages
12
Location
Jasper Indiana
Hey all,

I recently picked up a 2006 H3 in Victory Red this week, and am very happy with it. It has 78,000 miles on it, and the luxury package. I bought the car from a private owner and he kept great care of it. He put on 33" Kumho tires and leveled the front of it already. I discovered this hummer while searching for a good SUV for my daily driver. I really wanted something 4x4 and gas mileage is not really an issue. Also, i just wanted a change from my previous car (Nissan 350z). Here is a picture:


Before picking up the hummer, I test drove a 2007 at a dealership and was not as impressed with the interior (not a luxury package). However, the 2007 drove much smoother. I have been reading up and discovered that by leveling the front of the H3 you sacrfice a bit of ride quality and it becomes a little stiffer. This is definately noticeable. But i enjoy working on things like this, and assumed there was a simple solution to making the ride quality a little better. I have found that replacing the front shocks to longer bilstein upgraded shocks will ease the ride and help solve the issue. Any input on this or any other suggestions for making the ride less stiff? I could always turn the torsion bars back down, but that would require an alignment, and it looks perfect after being leveled already.

Furthermore, I will be going out to check the actual ride height of the front. After some research i found that a maximum of 23.5" is within a safe amount to raise on the torsion bars. I'm hoping the previous owner did not raise it too far either. Any comments on this would be helpful! I have many plans in store for the hummer, but that will continue in the build section! :)
 

Kyle

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,707
Location
Santa Clarita, CA
Welcome from so cal! The front looks a little taller that 23.5 i would go measure!


Sent from the top of a mountain in my h3
 

08H3

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,368
Location
United States
You're not far from Interlake. Goos place to go take some of the shine off that paint! :)

On your torsion bar/shock question, I think about 99% of that is perceived. I noticed no difference before or after raising the front, nor did I notice any difference between stock and Cognitos.
 

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Messages
10,670
Location
Scottsdale
I think what Kyle is alluding to is that if the distance from the center of the wheel hub to the bottom of the fender is greater than 23.5" you may find a decrease in ride comfort and you are also putting the front end of the H3 at greater risk for wear and tear damage.

However, that ride quality difference is usually more of a bounciness, not a stiffness. I believe most people who notice a stiffer ride have installed the Trail Duty bump stops (which is a discussion going on right now in a different thread).
 

Esser

Member
Messages
12
Location
Jasper Indiana
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! And I'll go measure the distance tomorrow. Looking at a full set of bilsteins for the H3 right now, figured replacing all the shocks wouldn't hurt. The factory shocks are rated to 60,000 miles anyway according to GM.
 

Esser

Member
Messages
12
Location
Jasper Indiana
Thanks for the welcome!! Just went out and measured the from height and it's sitting at about 24.5". That's a little too high, so I'll have to lower it back down an inch. In order to lower it should I losen that bolt under the door or tighten it? And about how many turns is an inch?
 
Top