• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Hood Removal

cowboy701

Member
Messages
7
Location
Sun City ca
Hi All, newbe here,Recently purchased a 2003 H2 and need to add a trans cooler next to the stock external cooler, have to move it over, lot easier if I can remove the hood, know about the lights,cables and where the bolts are, but the question is, how much does the hood weight? will I be able to let it down on the grill on a thick pad, or do you guys think it will be too much for my wife an I to handle. any info about the removal will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Chuck
 

LoJac963

Well-Known Member
Messages
491
Location
Surprise, AZ
Not really, the grill doesn't weigh much. The whole hood is fiberglass in addition to everything added to it. One heavy SOB! Get a chair and use that to get to the middle of the engine compartment. I think you'd save a massive amount of time and heartache just leaving the hood in place.
 

Zach

Mall Crawler
Messages
4,812
Location
So Cal
Taking the grille is more work and not much added weight. When my engine was replaced, it came off with grille, brushguard and brushguard light bar still attached to it
 

cowboy701

Member
Messages
7
Location
Sun City ca
Thanks for all the info, guess I will just leave the hood on, or probably should just take it to a tech,not a dealer, would guess about $300 ?? as I have the Hayden cooler already.
 

5gn-h3t

Well-Known Member
Messages
616
Location
Northeast Pennsyltucky
The hood is super easy to take off and will make your life easier. There are holes in each half of the hood hinge. You need 2 pins that fit in these holes. The pins hold the hinges in a fixed position.

This is a quick and dirty explanation, but:

Pick a good place to set the hood down
Unbolt the brushguard (if equipped)
Pop the plastic cover off the front lower portion of the hood
Disconnect all wiring
With 2 people, disconnect the hood cables while you hold the hood
Now you can line up the holes in the hinges and put the pins in.
Remove the hood bolts
Grab that puppy good and lift it off
 
Top