• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 New owner question

OlyMtHiker

Probationary Member
Messages
4
Location
Washington
Does anyone else have an issue with not having an oil pressure gage? Just seems weird to wait for the light to come on :huh: Looking for ideas, add extra analog gage, install programmer/OBDII monitor digital gages? Not sure how others have handled this or is it not an issue?
 

Jeff V.

Well-Known Member
Messages
123
Location
Kansas City, MO
It's definitely something to be aware of. To make matters worse, a failed oil pressure sensor won't trip an error light. I didn't find out the sensor on my 09 was bad until I hooked up my Tech 2 and found the codes. Fortunately the sensor is cheap and easy to replace.

ScanGauge was good for its time, but it's painfully outdated. You can get a lot more data in a much better format with a basic OBD dongle and a cheap 2nd hand phone or tablet. I set this up in 5 minutes just for the hell of it.

TorqueMFD.jpg


It wouldn't be too hard to come up with a nice mount and still be into it for a lot less than what ScanGauge wants for their ancient 16x2 LCD.
 

Jeff V.

Well-Known Member
Messages
123
Location
Kansas City, MO
There's a whole lot of ways to do this. But here's a cheap way to just try it out.

You need an OBD2 dongle. This is probably the hardest part, because there are so many poorly made, crappy parts out there. Finding a good one can be tough. I've used this one in the past, and it's worked ok. I've got a much nicer adapter now, but that's because I hack on these things as a hobby and I needed on with some advanced features.

https://www.amazon.com/Vgate-Bluetooth-Diagnostic-Scanner-Check-Android/dp/B07DCHWP9P

Then you need a copy of Torque Pro for Android. That's $5 on the Google Play store. It's not available for Apple devices. I'm sure there's something similar, but I'm not an Apple guy, so I can't make any recommendations.

You'll need a charger and cradle if you don't already have them. That's another thing where you can spend $5 or $50. It's totally up to your preferences. I just set mine in my dash tray for a quick test. That's why the pitch meter is so far off level. It uses the phone's internal sensors for that.

I don't want to derail this thread by going too deep into the details, but the setup is pretty easy. You hook the dongle to your car's OBD port, pair the phone with it via Bluetooth, launch the app and pick which gauges you want to see. Torque even has a whole set of pre-defined GM gauges, which is how I got the oil and trans gauges to show up.

Another added bonus is you can use this on pretty much any car you have that's newer than 1996. You can check and clear codes, log performance data, and troubleshoot problems. It won't do everything a Tech2 will do, but it's still an unbelievable value for the money.
 
Last edited:

OlyMtHiker

Probationary Member
Messages
4
Location
Washington
Thanks, that was the way I was leaning. Kills a couple birds, gages and navigation with a small pad. Just wondered what readings I can get from the OBD II if oil temp and pressure is available I’m good with that any others hopefully trans temp will be a bonus.
 

JPaul

Well-Known Member
Messages
2,436
Location
Way up north, UT
Also can look at the UltraGauge for a more modern replacement for ScanGuage, a heck of a lot cheaper too. Or get a good electronic oil pressure gauge and get an adapter plate for the oil cooler block off like I did: https://www.hummer4x4offroad.com/fo...-s-Alpha-build?p=224452&viewfull=1#post224452

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g6326


But with the Ultraguage you can also monitor transmission fluid temperature and a host of other things.

http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/

I have a dedicated oil pressure gauge because it has better response and is always there.
 

Jeff V.

Well-Known Member
Messages
123
Location
Kansas City, MO
That Ultra Gauge is more like what I'd want. The price is really good, and it looks like it supports custom parameters. The activity on their forum is a little thin, but I wouldn't let that stop me. Nice find!
 

JPaul

Well-Known Member
Messages
2,436
Location
Way up north, UT
Somewhere on here I posted the values you need for the transmission temperature a while back. works for the I5 and V8. V8 can do oil pressure, I5 still needs a dedicated gauge since it only has a pressure switch and not a pressure sensor.
 

Gpcalero

Well-Known Member
Messages
254
Location
SW Florida
Somewhere on here I posted the values you need for the transmission temperature a while back. works for the I5 and V8. V8 can do oil pressure, I5 still needs a dedicated gauge since it only has a pressure switch and not a pressure sensor.

Where did you mount your oil gauge?
 
Top