• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

OD rack mount kit

digglesworth

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,789
Location
illinois
I installed my outfitter design rack kit the other day and I'm looking for some feedback from those that have this kit or the mayhem kit since there almost identical. I put it in with some newer 16mm tie rods to replace the 14s that were on there. I took it to firestone to have the toe set. I got it back and the steering wheel is turned slightly to the left. It'll be going back to get checked again tonight. I'm gonna reset my torsion bars back up to 23.5 (they've settled to around 23) and drop it off for a full alignment. I'm gonna offer up a 12pk to the tech if he can take a little extra time to make it as close to perfect as he can. Driving it today was a bit of a chore. The steering definitely feels more solid and rigid. But it seems to take a lot more effort to keep it in a straight line on the highway. I dunno if that's the alignment still being slightly off or what... I'm gonna write up a detailed note to leave with my keys tonight. Does anyone else have any feedback on these two mount kits. I'm not trying to do product comparison. I just want opinions on what people think after installing these kits.
 

atvspeed4

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,211
Location
massachusetts
I installed my outfitter design rack kit the other day and I'm looking for some feedback from those that have this kit or the mayhem kit since there almost identical. I put it in with some newer 16mm tie rods to replace the 14s that were on there. I took it to firestone to have the toe set. I got it back and the steering wheel is turned slightly to the left. It'll be going back to get checked again tonight. I'm gonna reset my torsion bars back up to 23.5 (they've settled to around 23) and drop it off for a full alignment. I'm gonna offer up a 12pk to the tech if he can take a little extra time to make it as close to perfect as he can. Driving it today was a bit of a chore. The steering definitely feels more solid and rigid. But it seems to take a lot more effort to keep it in a straight line on the highway. I dunno if that's the alignment still being slightly off or what... I'm gonna write up a detailed note to leave with my keys tonight. Does anyone else have any feedback on these two mount kits. I'm not trying to do product comparison. I just want opinions on what people think after installing these kits.


The steering wheel being off is definitely a product of the alignment not being done right. They should be locking the steering wheel straight when they set the toe. As for the slight wandering. Mine did that after removing the rack and reinstalling. Even after "properly bleeding" there was still air in my system that took about a week of driving to work its way completely out.
 

humvee

Well-Known Member
Messages
507
Location
Doha, Qatar
I installed my outfitter design rack kit the other day and I'm looking for some feedback from those that have this kit

Alright. atv is right on all counts.. If you're aligning somewhere else, make sure you tell the mechanic that the bushings have been changed too. Stock bushings mutate slightly, and you need the alignment to be done from scratch (so to speak)... No shortcuts.

Ok, now you have a super solid rack. Since it no longer moves about, it wont absorb vibration the way it used to. Any component that is connected to it or the tires needs to be in very good shape, otherwise it will directly affect your alignment.

Check the upper control arm bushings, see if they're still holding tight, my uca bushings need replacement, so my tires wobble slightly, and since the rack doesn't absorb that anymore, it goes straight to my steering wheel and causes it to mimic the tire movement, causing the truck to stray slightly
You could be experiencing the same or something similar.

Did you torque the passenger side bolts to 75 and the drivers side to 90 ftlb?

Does your steering track back after turning at speeds under 10mph?
 

amrg

Well-Known Member
Messages
2,317
Location
Qatar
Did u check ur control arm bushings? If theyre shot they may affect the feeling of the truck.
 

digglesworth

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,789
Location
illinois
I've been told several times that my bushings are ok and got to check them while under there. It sounds like I have more of an alignment issue and maybe a little air in the system. I'm gonna drop it off at the shop tonight.
 

silvrzuki77

Well-Known Member
Messages
556
Location
Vegas
I have the mayhem kit, I didnt have any issues with mine or my dads. Like humvee said bleed the system well! After installing with no wheels, motor off, 30 turns left and 30 turns right slowly with the steering wheel checking the fluid as I went.
 

rsc

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,087
Location
Tulsa
Way back when my truck was new(ish) and the steering was tight, I noticed that the steering had very little "on center" play and that it was a chore to maintain in a straight line compared to the F150 I had just got out of. I think you are finding that new HUMMER's should not have slop in the steering and that they have a very direct feel in the wheel. Now that the rack is more solidly mounted than stock you will notice it being even more direct.
 

humvee

Well-Known Member
Messages
507
Location
Doha, Qatar
motor off, 30 turns left and 30 turns right slowly with the steering wheel checking the fluid as I went.

Well its been two weeks since I installed my steering rack bracket, it makes a huge difference, but my steering wheel still doesn't track back like it used to (about 95%).

Re-bleeding the system again tomorrow. This time I'll try it with the front tires off. Thanks silvrzuki!
 

digglesworth

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,789
Location
illinois
I did that a bunch when I put it back together. Should probably do it again though. I wanted to drive it for a few days and see if the situation improved. I need to re-adjust my torsion bars as they've sagged a little. I wanted to get the extended shackles on and see where everything sat. Then take it to the shop for a full alignment... Not sure when I'll be getting the shackles now as some things have come up. Guess I'll just have to play it by year now.
 
Top