• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Single click won’t start

fowlken8

Well-Known Member
Messages
248
Location
Southwest
My new to me h3 alpha in immaculate condition won’t start. I bought it about a month ago but due to weather and a shortage of drivers delivery took forever. I’m sure it wasn’t started and sat in freezing weather.

It was delivered and had a slow start. Sounded like a bad battery or at least low voltage, but it never died or anything. It’s an optima red top from 2022.

Oreilly charged it for me and I was hoping that was it. I turn over the ignition and it’s one single click and nothing more. The connections look just fine.

Starter? Whack it with a hammer and see if it turns over? Check the cables on the starter?

A solenoid? Replace it since it’s cheap?

Ignition switch?

Any ideas to easily test. I’ve only had it for 4 days. Wish it was operational.
 

Alpha X

Well-Known Member
Messages
453
Location
The Motor City
If I let my H3T sit for a week... the battery will drain enough where the key fob works.... but it won't have enough juice to start. Then it clicks. Yes, I have replaced the battery cable ends. I pull off my negative battery cable if I know it's going to sit for more than 4-5 days. I keep meaning to investigate the parasitic drain, I just haven't. I'm going to guess your battery is fine, it's just low from parasitic drain. Also, check to make sure there isn't oxidation on your battery posts. I think I've run into a poor connection from terminal to post, because of those darn oxygen molecules while the cable was off.
 

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Messages
10,671
Location
Scottsdale
Do you still have your other H3 or access to another battery you can put in there to try with that one? Could be a bad battery - not necessarily a drained one, but one that's internally failed.
 

fowlken8

Well-Known Member
Messages
248
Location
Southwest
Hello. I don’t have the other H3. Sold it and decided to be extra patient for an Alpha model. I could probably source a battery. Not that it matters but oreilly said their tester was showing a good battery?
 

fowlken8

Well-Known Member
Messages
248
Location
Southwest
If I let my H3T sit for a week... the battery will drain enough where the key fob works.... but it won't have enough juice to start. Then it clicks. Yes, I have replaced the battery cable ends. I pull off my negative battery cable if I know it's going to sit for more than 4-5 days. I keep meaning to investigate the parasitic drain, I just haven't. I'm going to guess your battery is fine, it's just low from parasitic drain. Also, check to make sure there isn't oxidation on your battery posts. I think I've run into a poor connection from terminal to post, because of those darn oxygen molecules while the cable was off.
I had oreilly fully charge it for me. The cables look good. Initially it would turn over sluggishly and then not at all Which is why I had them charge it. I hate things like this
 

Doc Olds

Well-Known Member
Messages
165
Location
Boat Town MI
Here comes the broken record (for you old folks like me) or perhaps, looping MP3 for youngsters.

Still trying to use the crappy azzed OEM Battery Terminal Connectors? If so, hack them off immediately, replace with a quality aftermarket set like Stingers or your favorite brand. First mod to be done to any H3/H3T. Does not matter what the OEM connectors "look like", they absolutely suck and by now with the age of these trucks, they suck even more!
 

fowlken8

Well-Known Member
Messages
248
Location
Southwest
Optima red top not holding a charge so tried a known working battery and the same thing. One single click. Cleaned the terminals and inspected the cables and all looks well.

I feel stupid in that I cannot easily find the starter? Anyone have the answer? It’s an alpha model.
 

fowlken8

Well-Known Member
Messages
248
Location
Southwest
Bench tested the starter and the gear spins, but never pops out.

To me this is bad. But I also don’t understand why there’s simply a click sound. Unless I wouldn’t be able to hear the spinning. I noticed when removing it, there’s a clipped in plug and a power wire? Videos show much different looking starters. Is that plug the part that engages the gear solenoid? Am I testing this wrong?

Regardless I’m going to change the battery terminals.
 
Last edited:

Happy Hummer

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,462
Location
Wisconsin
I think you should start over at the beginning.
With a digital voltage meter test the following:
1) ohm reading of black ground lead at battery to opposites end...
Recommendation is to remove ground lead from block, frame,etc and clean. Then reinstall with good dose of anti corrosion spray.
2) test red power lead for ohm reading. Remove the starter from the equation. Clean contacts at both ends.
3) verify with dvm that you do not have a parasitic draw
4) open the fuse box. Check for corrosion on each fuse.(meaning one at a time remove, spray deoxit in the fuse opening reinsert. Check continuity of each fuse with dvm one at a time. Nows a good time to do that parasitic draw test.)
5) Check to make sure the connection inside the lower section of the fuse block are not corroded or damaged. Carefully put the fuse block sections back to gether. While your at it you may as well deoxit the connections.
6) check each ground point on H3. Clean and reinstall.
If all else fails replace battery and starter with quality components.

There are some great YouTube videos covering each of these topics.
 

fowlken8

Well-Known Member
Messages
248
Location
Southwest
Took the starter to O'Reilly and they tested it. Said it's no good. I ordered one online for 120 vs their remanufactured one for 226...

Should be here Sunday. I really hope it's the fix! When it drove I loved the Alpha.
 
Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Well-Known Member
Messages
976
Location
WI
Hard to say exactly what the problem was. Could be one of 5-6 things with the starter. I normally take them apart and see what the problem is. Sometimes it's something simple and cheap to replace/fix. But a new starter should do the trick (hopefully)
 

fowlken8

Well-Known Member
Messages
248
Location
Southwest
good and bad news?

well, it was the starter. starts up strongly now.......

BUT HAS A METAL LIKE CLUNK SOUND , sounds like this

It didn't make this sound with the failing starter. Unsure what the issue is...

It's seated properly, I made sure everything matched up. It's flush. The bolts are TIGHT. Connections look good. The install was much better than the removal.

I don't want to mess up any gears in the fly wheel or anything. Why could this be happening?


also......the red top battery is doing just fine while measuring 11.9v? makes no sense to me.
 
Last edited:

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Messages
10,671
Location
Scottsdale
Ugh, I dunno. I know little (okay, nothing) about starters. But I'm assuming it should not stop spinning and that grinding is from it starting and stopping, correct? Kinda like when we attempt a second start before the first one comes to a complete stop? My first guess is a bad starter straight from the box. Second guess, and wild one at that, is that it stops because it's not getting sufficient and consistent current from the battery. But I doubt that since it stops/starts so quickly.
 

fowlken8

Well-Known Member
Messages
248
Location
Southwest
after going a few places, it's sounding "slightly better"...I don't imagine it being the case, but do starters sometimes need a break in period?
 

lfootmatt

Well-Known Member
Messages
164
Location
AZ
I’ve replaced plenty of starters. Never saw one act like that. In your video are you holding the starter constantly in the start position? If so, the intermittent engage then disengage thing it is doing is very unusual. The grinding part doesn’t seem to hit until the flywheel is spinning a bit which makes sense to me. That intermittent engagement and disengagement of the starter motor is the problem. Did it do that before?

Personally, I’d find a good starter/alternator rebuild shop in your area. Have them test the original and the replacement.

I think you got a cheap, and likely garage, replacement starter.

My $0.02 for what it’s worth.

Good luck!

Matt
 

fowlken8

Well-Known Member
Messages
248
Location
Southwest
Hi Matt. that video isn't my actual starter, just a video of what mine is sounding like. The sound does remind me of trying to start an already started motor, the clunky metal sound.

Oh yes, it was a cheap starter. Might of been a mistake, sometimes amazon's choice isn't the best product. I just don't want to ruin anything.
 

Happy Hummer

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,462
Location
Wisconsin
Smile ;)... long after the cheap price wears off you're left with a dissatisfied taste in your mouth!
Get a acdelco, gm starter. Cheap is cheap.
 
Top