• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Tie rods broken

Hunner

Well-Known Member
Messages
2,334
Location
Arkansas
Just to have these to study and fear?
Anybody want to add some.
Edit: none of these are mine. I have not broken any.
pow
2084791_21.jpg

bam
Brokenotmine.jpg

ahh they do bend
bent_tierod.jpg

178518517-L.jpg

178518093-L.jpg

carnage1.jpg

BeasleyKnob71611007.jpg

The ugly result
JasonH3TatBeasleyKnob.jpg

IMG_5340.jpg

DSC05174_edited.jpg

DSC06528_edited.jpg

clever cripple to get to trail head
DSC09016.jpg

my stash at one time
_DSC8090_resize.jpg
 
Last edited:

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Messages
9,503
Location
Meridian, ID
I've taken out one so far. I really should just sleeve them until I go with a bulletproof type setup

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
 

W@RPIG

Well-Known Member
Messages
79
Location
Pasadena TX
I am new to this whole thing but im actually looking forward to breaking something on mine lol ( dunno if its a bad thing or not)As long as its easily repairable And that there does not look good
 

08H3

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,368
Location
United States
Hunner, I saw the title of your post and immediately wondered what in the world you could possibly do to break one of those crazy big tie rods on your truck! I think you sourced those from Sherman tank, right?!
 

JoshuaL

NEVERENDING ADDICTION
Messages
254
Location
Mineral Bluff GA
Hey thats me next to trailbraker's truck, what a crazy day that was and the sound of a tie rod snapping is a vary unique sound and a ****ty one.
 

Hunner

Well-Known Member
Messages
2,334
Location
Arkansas
I wondered if people would claim them. I may have some more I have saved. I studied this hard before I went on my 4000 mile Hum about. lol
I figured it would bring up some interesting stories and memories. Point is read up on replacing them and carry some spares. That seems to work for most people and the 16mm seem to have helped alot.
I think the ones of us that have wheeled these since 06 realized the IFS takes a bit different approach to driving a vehicle that weighs what the H3 does.
I don't think with these H3 ones a sleeve would work unless it covered the entire length by looking at how close to the end some of them bent. I guess malleable might be the word for that. I thought I had one someone trail welded a bolt on.

Oh, 06H3, they call the ones I have "Trail Duty" and they go up from there! So far so good.
I probably should carry a couple of spherical rod ends as time goes by.
And even though they appear to defeat the "fuse theory" there is a whole lot more to it than size!

Hopefully we will see a more affordable alternative.
 
Last edited:

Pappibri

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,611
Location
Cohoctah, MI
WOW... Not a fun day when that happens.. Maybe right up to the snap, crackle and pop, not so much after though :huh:
 

Hunner

Well-Known Member
Messages
2,334
Location
Arkansas
I finally found this. I remember some discussion from a looong time ago. April 07. I never checked but does any one know, might have to ask some H2 people what size this H2 Fabtech tie rod ends are? I sort of forgot about it when I went the BP route. Did they go out of business?
H2Fabtech.jpg

and I found this,

by Hunner » Thu May 03, 2007 8:28 pm

I just received a notification of cancellation of my order to GM Parts Direct of a tie rod placed on March 1. Reason: national backorder no eta given, period. What a mess!! Glad I grabbed a couple in stock. I tried several places and no aftermarket in country business that I called are interested in having them made for the H3. By who I still don't know. There are some in China and India but I did not call them. Probably have to order a million!
Now the best bet is to modify what we got or find a match that might be heavier and modify that. Im still looking.
 
Last edited:

AlaskaDan

Well-Known Member
Messages
66
Location
Edgewood, NM
Hunner,
Please elaborate on how this happened. Front lockers? Did you bounce out of a hole with tires spinning? Hit two rocks on both tires? Was alcohol involved?
:gaah:Give us some insight on what we can watch out for. I have been wheeling for many miles on my 2006 H3, 110,000 miles. Never broke anything (lots of dents & scrapes) but a broken tie rod(s) is the #1 thing I am always afraid of breaking.

Dan
 

Scarsman

Sponsor
Messages
1,561
Location
Monroe, WA
Bouncing is going to be the biggest cause. If you start spinning and bouncing that'll do it real quick.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk
 

Hunner

Well-Known Member
Messages
2,334
Location
Arkansas
Hunner,
Please elaborate on how this happened. Front lockers? Did you bounce out of a hole with tires spinning? Hit two rocks on both tires? Was alcohol involved?
:gaah:Give us some insight on what we can watch out for. I have been wheeling for many miles on my 2006 H3, 110,000 miles. Never broke anything (lots of dents & scrapes) but a broken tie rod(s) is the #1 thing I am always afraid of breaking.

Dan

Driving back and forth to Alaska doesn't count.:) it's the hours on the trail.:shifty: Like that hole you went in at Attica! I was gritting my teeth for you on that one.
Notice "I" did not break any tie rods.
Those that did will probably tell you it was the sudden stop after spinning the wheels and they get traction.

What I did do was break my rack back when I was trailering a lot and mostly drove offroad. So I did not realize the pass bushing would get loose and cause undo wear since I was not hwy driving. This was in 06 so all this was new with the H3 for me. So by the time I added the BP tie rods which by design relieve pressure on the rack by articulating without maxing out like the OEM ones and then shoving up on the rack it was doomed anyway. Then I was leading a pack of HX guys that came all the way to Arkansas to wheel in my backyard, at Superlift. I was determined to show them a good time and went on some trails I do often and had it down how to run them. I had been to the dealer three times telling them my rear locker was not working and they denied it each time. Long story about that and the six weeks it was in the shop, but I was torqued and could not make a hill I do several times a day and instead of winching 30 feet gave it more throttle, spun the lighter front end going up and bam. Well by then I was headed down the other side and realize the steering was really sloppy. I mean a full turn and nothing much happened. We run in loose pulverized shale and steering is sort of weird anyway.
I got to use my dual winches to winch sideways to prevent any damage against the flexible pines that saved me from a 40 foot gulch to the bottom of the ravine. After that I figured out that the rack broke, broke the short hydraulic line and the black tube end was moving back and forth with little movement of the tie rods.
Since the BP tie rods were in tact, I added fluid and drove back to the trailer.
Lesson learned, fix bracket, make flex line for hydraulic in case rack breaks so I don't loose fluid and burn up the pump and later add center bracket.
And STOP do not spin tires on H3 excessively which I did not really think I did, at the time, but it happened.
Now you know most of the story. ha ha zzzzzz bed time story for Hummer owners.
Oh so somewhere this is posted.
Superliftpinetree.jpg

Center bracket
_DSC8158_resize.jpg

Custom flex line. Had the guys that make all my radiators and custom lines for project race cars do this. Had to use the existing fittings as they could not find anything like them. They have a special small round crimper and silver braised the fittings to fit the SS covered lines. When the rack separates this short line gets crimped and broken.
_DSC7429.jpg

_DSC7891.jpg

Stay tuned for more adventures of Hunner and his H3!
 
Last edited:

Mr_Rich

Well-Known Member
Messages
666
Location
Yucaipa & Santa Maria
I'm wondering if something like a Chev HD2500 steering rack and/ or tie rods could be adapted for our trucks. It kind of rubs me the wrong way to think about needing to have a bunch of spare parts like half-shafts, tie rods, etc. when going off-road. Tools and U-joints used to be the pre-requisite off roading items on a pack list. I'd still rather drive a Hummer in all conditions than a Jeep. A friend of mine would bring a torch and we actually bent back some parts on a quad that got damaged a long time ago.
 

Hunner

Well-Known Member
Messages
2,334
Location
Arkansas
Is it more fun in the dark??
It seems when I was really doing the hardest wheeling at Superlift, it was that "one last trail" that somebody always broke making for some late nighters. The hard part was not saying that and just running one more to not hex the run.:shifty:

Anybody with an H2 on here got a spare tie rod they could do some measuring? If the threaded inner end is the same and the ball socket piece was small enough to fit in the rack............. nah too simple somebody would have tried that, or not?
I'm going to look for one Monday.

Hmmm the end piece could be too large.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/01-10-GMC-2...CI%2BUA%2BFICS&otn=21&pmod=330689056398&ps=54
They also look stubby. It's a mystery!
 
Last edited:
Top