• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3T Tool Box

cdarveaux

Well-Known Member
Messages
544
Location
Colorado Springs, CO
What is a good toolbox to use for the T? I don't mean the Hummer ones, they rusted all my tools and spare parts. I'm looking for one that you would usually see on like an F-150 or a Silverado. Any suggestions? Thanks.
 

4speedfunk

Well-Known Member
Messages
4,250
Location
Tardville
I use Hardigg (Pelican) cases for my gear. These are military surplus units...water-tight, light-weight, impact-proof, etc. I've not seen any that are specifically made for "tools" but, they come in all sorts of sizes. I have paid $10-$40 for them, and I've never been disappointed. Here's a quick ebay search that shows the range of sizes, however these prices are absurd...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=hardigg+case&_frs=1
 

cdarveaux

Well-Known Member
Messages
544
Location
Colorado Springs, CO
I use Hardigg (Pelican) cases for my gear. These are military surplus units...water-tight, light-weight, impact-proof, etc. I've not seen any that are specifically made for "tools" but, they come in all sorts of sizes. I have paid $10-$40 for them, and I've never been disappointed. Here's a quick ebay search that shows the range of sizes, however these prices are absurd...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=hardigg+case&_frs=1

Oh those are nice I love those!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
 

Airborne

Just a regular dude
Messages
294
Location
Utah
I highly recommend those cases. A few made it back with me from Afghanistan and they are built tough. I like that they have pressure release valves. At least the 2 that I have do.
 

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Messages
10,529
Location
Central Texas
I have some of the military cases and the one with my spares rides around in the bed of the H1 24/7. Never had a water infiltration problem.
 

2010H3TAlpha

Well-Known Member
Messages
563
Location
Issaquah, WA
Split it open and silicon the two pieces that meet.

Finally had time to take mine apart today and I plan to silicon the two pieces together after it dries (gave it a good wash with Simple Green). It sure doesn't look like it would leak between the two pieces because of the gap fitting that joins them...but I did notice a couple spots that looked weak...

Any other areas you know of where these leak? I will also test spray it with water tomorrow to double check the hatch seals.
 

RamRod

Well-Known Member
Messages
3,914
Location
AB, Canada
I just picked up this plastic locking sealed tool box to try and install on some slides to store bunch of tools and other items that I have been keeping in the cab of the T since taking off the snugtop (didn't want people to take me sh!t)

jedujana.jpg


Eventually it will hold a second battery, ARB twin compressor.

The unit only fits front to back, just a few inches too waive to fit side to side and basically is the length of the box and half the width I'll post up details as the project develops as I am sure there are aome technical over laps


Sent from handheld smoke signal device
 

2010H3TAlpha

Well-Known Member
Messages
563
Location
Issaquah, WA
Took my factory Hummer toolbox apart and I think I found the culprit. There is a corner where the two pieces meet that was not aligned during assembly and when the bolts were torqued it left a gap and bent part of the plastic. I filled it with silicone and it is setting now. Rain test scheduled for tomorrow :)
 

SolidusJ

Well-Known Member
Messages
2,028
Location
FT. Carson, CO
Finally had time to take mine apart today and I plan to silicon the two pieces together after it dries (gave it a good wash with Simple Green). It sure doesn't look like it would leak between the two pieces because of the gap fitting that joins them...but I did notice a couple spots that looked weak...

Any other areas you know of where these leak? I will also test spray it with water tomorrow to double check the hatch seals.

Trust me, this was my box.
attachment.php
attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • download (1).jpg
    download (1).jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 469
  • download.jpg
    download.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 455

2010H3TAlpha

Well-Known Member
Messages
563
Location
Issaquah, WA
Okay I think I am pretty close to waterproof with the stock box now. The other major areas of concern are the bolt holes in the back where the box attaches to the truck. I put waterproof tape on the inside and outside of each hole and I added a seal on the outside (just the one seal washer on the inside doesn't seem to do the job). Dumped a ton of water on the box and still 100% dry inside!

it is supposed to rain tomorrow so I will report back with my findings :)
 
Top