• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Totally Confused About Lifting and larger wheels/Tires !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

H3Ray

Guest
Guys -


Can I get some honest comments about raising my H3? Like how high? Do I need a Lift Kit? What size wheels and tires are recommended? I don't any problems later on, like stress on other parts from adding larger wheels or tires.


09 H3 Alpha.


Thanks! :)
 
H

H3Ray

Guest
Image added ... The orange H3 on left is what I want mine to look like .... Is it possible? Pros and cons? Please keep it real.

Thx.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0486-1.jpg
    IMG_0486-1.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 977

Flash

Well-Known Member
Messages
195
Location
Michigan
I've wheeled in sand, mud, rocks and snow. I've done water crossings and drove over fallen trees. I run 33" tires and have no lift. Not even a torsion bar adjustment. I have added OEM UCP and rocker rails. I've added Hunner skids and upgraded the shocks to FOX reserve resovoir (Rod Hall Racing type). I've banged some pretty good dents on the underside - but mostly due to driver learning curve (wrong line), rather than a NEED for higher clearance. My thoughts have been from the beginning; 1. I only have so much discretionary money for THIS activity. 2. The design engineers put together a package where all the components functioned for a specified rating - and it ahs worked really well for me thus far. 3. Every change from the original design impacts something else (some alot, some not so much). 4. Once you start modifying from original, then you need a pretty clear plan on where you want to go - because it is a never ending road - one I personally cannot afford. My limited upgrades (tires, shocks, UCP, R Rails, roof rack, brush bar, CB, 15# air tank, spare parts, straps/shackles, hi-lift jack, bottle jack, floor jack, tools, etc) none of which have changed the original design, have cost me over $5,000.

Wheeling will take its own toll on your vehicle.

I really like the look of a lifted H3. The Rancho 4" lift with 35's to me is a real nice package - appearance wise. But it costs more money that I am willing to pay and I have not once needed it in my wheeling.
 

Attachments

  • DSC_8204.JPG
    DSC_8204.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 443
  • DSC_8105.JPG
    DSC_8105.JPG
    166.8 KB · Views: 379
  • DSC_9210.jpg
    DSC_9210.jpg
    740.1 KB · Views: 472
  • DSC_8124.JPG
    DSC_8124.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 410
  • DSC_9158.jpg
    DSC_9158.jpg
    752.6 KB · Views: 369

bebe

Moderator
Messages
1,375
Location
Dayton, NV
Guys -


Can I get some honest comments about raising my H3? Like how high? Do I need a Lift Kit? What size wheels and tires are recommended? I don't any problems later on, like stress on other parts from adding larger wheels or tires.


09 H3 Alpha.


Thanks!
big%20happy%20smile.gif




You may want to do a lot more reading...a lot more. :)

I'm always one to be helpful, but what you seek could fill a stack of Encyclopedia Britannica's, many thoughts, many techniques, many opinions and many applications.

Use your Google Foo if you have to. This information you seek (referenced above) and the education that accompanies it, has been around before the internet.:chuck

oh wait - you said "Guys"....never mind then. Carry on :)
 
Last edited:

Flash

Well-Known Member
Messages
195
Location
Michigan
Image added ... The orange H3 on left is what I want mine to look like .... Is it possible? Pros and cons? Please keep it real.

Thx.

The orange one on the left has a Goodyear Duratrac tread pattern, a Hunner type shock skip plates and a read differential cover. His CB antenna is mounted to his spare and he is running an aftermarket wheel with a different offset (wheels out farther). The lift plus the wheel/tire offset will increase the stress on front end components. Enough to matter??? Depends on what he does with it. Wheel it hard - yes. Asphalt king - probably not much.
 
Last edited:

HUMMERADDICT

Well-Known Member
Messages
252
Location
NH
That lifted H3 is a member on here I do believe. He runs 18x9 Rockstars with 325/65/18 Goodyear Duratracs and Rancho lift kit and I think he has spacers also.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top