• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Wanna lose weight?

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Messages
9,503
Location
Meridian, ID
Took off the doors and second spare for wheeling this weekend.

Front door 90lbs. x2 =180lbs

Rear door 75lbs. x2 = 150lbs

Spare 315/75/16 duratrac and oem rim =81 lbs

Total= 411 lbs shaved off the H3. HOLY ****

If I build tube doors it would probably put 50-100lbs back.





then I gained back all the weight then some



 

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Messages
9,503
Location
Meridian, ID
I was surprised how good it looked too....lol

I am amazed how I dropped 411 Lbs. we will see how it does on the trail.

I also hope to make tube doors just to protect the b pillar. Nothing fancy just to keep body parts intact.

Tweeters and sub are the only things making music so it doesn't sound the best but with the aftermarket head unit I could really adjust it to sound decent and it sounds fine driving as the wind distorts it all. I may make a small box with 2 speakers eventually to make up for the 4 taken out with no doors.

The visibility is amazing.

The whole goal is whatever I do to add protection is to keep weight down.
 

Sethmark

Well-Known Member
Messages
230
Location
SC
What does the DIC do about the doors and winders? Does the computer freak or are you pulling fuses?
 

am4x4

Active Member
Messages
40
Location
simi valley, ca
I like it!...but I am a big fan of light weight wheelers. You could ditch the tailgate, I bet you would easily take off another 100lbs. Every little bit counts, you are already close to a 10% weight reduction.
 

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Messages
9,503
Location
Meridian, ID
The dic says doors. That's all...there are buttons on the door sill if you push them all then the computer thinks the doors are closed. I'm gonna throw some black duct tape over them so the computer thinks they are closed. Gotta be black to match the paint ;)

The suspension feels so much better too. The h3 suspension is very soft and it still is with no doors but it just feels better.

I want to ditch the back door. Just need to buy a medium or large safari strap to keep all the **** from falling out on hills. I would probably be at a 520 lb weight reduction and put the spare laying down on the folded down 2nd row which would help move some weight low and centered.

Can't wait for camping and wheeling. Gonna push it hard and see how it does.
 

Sethmark

Well-Known Member
Messages
230
Location
SC
It should be a remarkable improvement. I pulled 1000# out of my competition rock crawler jeep a few years ago and the car came alive. Better throttle response, vastly improved climbing, side hilling, and more predictable loading and unloading.

Ill never understand the mentality behind putting more and more weight on a car with roof racks, skid plates, and the like. Ill definitely never grasp why someone would put a spare tire on the roof. Everything off road is better lighter.
 

abearden

Well-Known Member
Messages
609
Location
N. Idaho
It should be a remarkable improvement. I pulled 1000# out of my competition rock crawler jeep a few years ago and the car came alive. Better throttle response, vastly improved climbing, side hilling, and more predictable loading and unloading.

Ill never understand the mentality behind putting more and more weight on a car with roof racks, skid plates, and the like. Ill definitely never grasp why someone would put a spare tire on the roof. Everything off road is better lighter.
Compromise between offroad and expedition/camping. Not everything is strictly a trail vehicle.
 

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Messages
9,503
Location
Meridian, ID
It should be a remarkable improvement. I pulled 1000# out of my competition rock crawler jeep a few years ago and the car came alive. Better throttle response, vastly improved climbing, side hilling, and more predictable loading and unloading.

Ill never understand the mentality behind putting more and more weight on a car with roof racks, skid plates, and the like. Ill definitely never grasp why someone would put a spare tire on the roof. Everything off road is better lighter.

I had different plans for the H3 in the beginning. More exploring type stuff where COG wasn't as important in the rocks. I was a noob to offroading too. I had no thought of cause and effect back then. As I got into the rocks I learned quickly and I ditch the spare anytime I go wheeling but kept the rack for camping. It's an all purpose vehicle for me. Daily driver, parts hauler for my brothers jeep, high speed stuff on dirt roads, crawling, mud, snow, even for date night, and Etc. so I adapt my truck for what I'm doing in the moment. Weight will be added to an 4x4 with winches and skids but the goal is to drop it in other places...could of gone with a jeep but with the smaller space I felt I couldn't use it for all the things I use my H3 for and you never see an H3 in the rocks so its unique, that's what I like. It may get a SA up front one day but that's when it's more of a crawler only.
 

chad

Well-Known Member
Messages
545
Location
florida
i took my doors off a couple times, lots of fun and fun to drive down the road, turns a lot of heads when people realize its not a jeep! the only thing i miss is not having a radio, i will try to make something for mine one day as well with speakers.
 
Last edited:

Sethmark

Well-Known Member
Messages
230
Location
SC
Yeah. I know the story. Rooftop tent, high lift, stack of lights, shovel, rack and tire all on top of the car to keep the interior space.

The problem is that the dynamics of the car are so compromised that it becomes a hazard on and off road. I've had the experience of going down the highway on 2 wheels because the COG was so messed up. If I wasn't on my game that day, id be dead.

I've had the misfortune of rolling a car off road more than once. It's a real pain.

For my own overland travels ill take a trailer.
 

Sethmark

Well-Known Member
Messages
230
Location
SC
I started in Northern California. Access to the Rubicon every weekend made for an interesting view of how to build a functional car to travel in. Then I moved to Southern California and had access to virtually every hard trail there was.

The hard won lesson for me was that nothing good comes from gross overload. Especially up high.
 

ArtHummer

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,220
Location
Gaithersburg/MD
4CE6661D-0184-43AF-BCAA-38DDCD7A9655-3852-0000037C71D8FBA6_zps5e49fd98.jpg

Man, looking at that makes me want to cut the roof and rear windows out and build a roll cage like on jeep. I think that would be cool...:huh:
 

Panzer07

Well-Known Member
Messages
2,548
Location
Ontario, CA
After looking at Bebe's doorless H3 and now yours im definitely gonna copycat you guy's idea, and i'm taking mine of too, i just need to do some research about what is it that you need to do, to legally drive doorless while on the city, as well i saw bebe's tube door, but i still think they are heavy, which leaded me to consider on making myself some soft shell doors like the one for the military hmmwv. that way you still keep the weight off
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 480

Panzer07

Well-Known Member
Messages
2,548
Location
Ontario, CA
The dic says doors. That's all...there are buttons on the door sill if you push them all then the computer thinks the doors are closed. I'm gonna throw some black duct tape over them so the computer thinks they are closed. Gotta be black to match the paint ;)

The suspension feels so much better too. The h3 suspension is very soft and it still is with no doors but it just feels better.

I want to ditch the back door. Just need to buy a medium or large safari strap to keep all the **** from falling out on hills. I would probably be at a 520 lb weight reduction and put the spare laying down on the folded down 2nd row which would help move some weight low and centered.

Can't wait for camping and wheeling. Gonna push it hard and see how it does.



Why not just take the rear seats off instead of folding them, that way you have more space as well take off some more weight off.
 

Expendable

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,025
Location
Burbank, CA
for daily driving I would keep the doors on in case you get into an accident. yes they are heavy but they are heavy for a reason. to protect you.

and the removal of the seats is a good idea but I wouldn't because you never know what you're going to run into. what if one of the rigs breaks on the trail and you need to carry the driver and or passengers of his. Also I remember reading an article on Hummer X Club where a group of Hummers were running a trail near Last Chance Canyon (could be LCC I forget) and they ran into a troop of boy scouts that were lost&dehydrated and drove them off the trail to safety
 

Sethmark

Well-Known Member
Messages
230
Location
SC
This is an interesting perspective. I went around in circles on this years ago.

What i ultimately decided was that I was going to be prepared to take care of myself. At that point I removed the spare tire, most all spare parts and only a handful of basic tools and pretty much all excess weight. The crew I ran with all had done the same. Seems counterintuitive. But......

Ultimately, the agreement was that we all had built, capable cars and were experienced drivers. We knew the trails and knew our skill levels. If something went wrong we'd all pitch in, but that would mean running back to the truck to retrieve resources. It was the price we were willing to pay.

In the end, we NEVER had a problem. Ironically, on any given weekend, we might run 4 to 6 trails, where the normal group would do 2. They would be plagued with vehicle failures and Trail fixes where we'd have none.

My point is that a light, capable vehicle, built right with the right combination of parts can be indestructible. Why carry a 125# spare tire if you're not going to need it? Most of the so cal trails we ran weren't destination trails, they were out and backs. So a spare could be retrieved if need be. But it was never needed. Run the right tire, never need a spare.

Now, I recognize that an H3 in fairly stock form isn't that vehicle. There are limitations. CVs, steering et cetera. Not indestructible. But the mentality of reducing weight will yield a better return on borderline parts. Lighter car, longer parts longevity.

My opinion.
 
Top