• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Welding equipment question...

Airborne

Just a regular dude
Messages
294
Location
Utah
I'm not sure if this should be under tech section....

After reading several posts from many members, it is clear that we have some really talented guys and gals here. I am looking to get into welding as another skill set to add to the short list. Mainly I would like to possibly do some minor fabrication and repair work on the H3. I have looked at MIG, TIG, and Arc. For what I am looking to accomplish and my skill I am thinking a MIG setup would be my best option.

I am looking for advice from the experts or more knowledgable here. I have experience with ARC but never developed into anything spectacular so I do have some base knowledge but nothing advanced.

Here is the set up I have been looking at:

http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welder-110vac-135a-output.html

The reasons are:
-I want to keep it at 110 vs 220. I can run a dedicated circuit to my garage at 220 but I would like it at 110 in case this divorce kills me and forces me out of my house.
-It is still on the lower end but still plenty room for expanding as the skill level increases.
-I have heard good things about eastwood and lincoln but the eastwood is a little less expensive


This kit comes with an auto darkening helmet which I know is a must now.
http://www.amazon.com/Eastwood-Weld...e=UTF8&qid=1397082088&sr=1-4&keywords=mig+135

Gas, gloves, some magnets maybe? What else?

I just know its easier when you start right to stay right....

Any advice on what else I would need or not need would be greatly appreciated.
 
Last edited:

Panzer07

Well-Known Member
Messages
2,548
Location
Ontario, CA
Glad someone brought this subject up I was thinking on bringing something like this up, I'm sure subscribing to this thread...hope we get some feed back on this since I'm also interested and been thinking about adventuring myself into welding...


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 

abearden

Well-Known Member
Messages
609
Location
N. Idaho
Can't claim to be one of those welders, but I've dabbled. Check the specs on the helmet and don't skimp on it. Some of the Chinese helmets are dangerously under spec. A leather smock or coat. Full-leather boots are nice too. Magnets/vices/clamps.
 

SuperBuickGuy

Well-Known Member
Messages
3,403
Location
Woodinville, WA
You have two choices, Miller or Lincoln. Eastwood may have a quality device, however, do you really want to risk it? I've used about everything there is; and I have Miller only because they support their equipment forever, and they just keep ticking. I've heard good things about Lincoln, but I know by experience that the day they started selling at Home Depot, their quality fell substantially.

Your first welder should always be a MIG. All houses have 220v, and 220v is mainly what you use in wheeling stuff. If you're doing autobody 110v is fine (or you have to lug it to a rooftop).

What you should look for is duty cycle. The percentage they give is how long in every hour you can use your welder.... thus, 20% is 12 minutes of weld time per hour (most cheap welders have 15-30% duty cycles).... and by experience again I'll say that the house brands tend to be less capable of meeting the duty cycle whereas the Millers all will run at least that long.

Also, if you're planning on welding aluminum, you can't with 110v, they just don't get hot enough
 

SuperBuickGuy

Well-Known Member
Messages
3,403
Location
Woodinville, WA
Can't claim to be one of those welders, but I've dabbled. Check the specs on the helmet and don't skimp on it. Some of the Chinese helmets are dangerously under spec. A leather smock or coat. Full-leather boots are nice too. Magnets/vices/clamps.

skin is leather :)

gloves are a must, but I weld in shorts and OSHA approved flip flops when it's hot
 

4speedfunk

Well-Known Member
Messages
4,250
Location
Tardville
Screw the 110V MIG welder. Not only do you barely have enough current...you'll also most likely be using flex-core welding wire. This type of welding rig is very common (Harbor Freight), and it does nothing but make a big blobby mess of anything you try to weld. If you want to weld like a pro...here's what you need:

Get a 220V welder...add an outlet to your garage if you have to.
Get a gas-kit...make sure to re-configure the polarity on the welder.
Get a bottle of shielding gas...you can lease these much like a propane tank for your BBQ grill.
Get a Miller mask (good ones start around $120).

I love my Hobart 210-MVP...
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200479230_200479230

Hobart makes a great product, and this machine includes the gas kit. I shopped around quite a bit and for an entry level welder...and this is about as good of a value as there is. Yes, its a grand...but believe me, anything less will cause you a grand in frustration! I have yet to run out of duty cycle with it. The MVP stands for multi-voltage-plug...and you can use the welder on either 110v or 220v without re-wiring anything, (its all in the plug...genius!). Read some reviews and surf the welder forums. If you want a smaller, DIY rig with big-time power...the Hobart 210-MVP is a great choice. Tips, electrodes, etc. are cheap and very available. No complaints whatsoever.
 

Airborne

Just a regular dude
Messages
294
Location
Utah
Screw the 110V MIG welder. Not only do you barely have enough current...you'll also most likely be using flex-core welding wire. This type of welding rig is very common (Harbor Freight), and it does nothing but make a big blobby mess of anything you try to weld. If you want to weld like a pro...here's what you need:

Get a 220V welder...add an outlet to your garage if you have to.
Get a gas-kit...make sure to re-configure the polarity on the welder.
Get a bottle of shielding gas...you can lease these much like a propane tank for your BBQ grill.
Get a Miller mask (good ones start around $120).

I love my Hobart 210-MVP...
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200479230_200479230

Hobart makes a great product, and this machine includes the gas kit. I shopped around quite a bit and for an entry level welder...and this is about as good of a value as there is. Yes, its a grand...but believe me, anything less will cause you a grand in frustration! I have yet to run out of duty cycle with it. The MVP stands for multi-voltage-plug...and you can use the welder on either 110v or 220v without re-wiring anything, (its all in the plug...genius!). Read some reviews and surf the welder forums. If you want a smaller, DIY rig with big-time power...the Hobart 210-MVP is a great choice. Tips, electrodes, etc. are cheap and very available. No complaints whatsoever.

Perfect! This is what I hoped for and was afraid of.....
I was just posting how I was looking into Hobart as well. Give me a few mikes to check this one out I was looking at 110v because I'm sick of pissing with sh!t. But I want to do aluminium as Superbuick pointed out. So I would be a hypocrite with my whole start right stay right crap. Now we are talking. I love my hummer but this is surely making me spend some cash. :)
 
Last edited:

Airborne

Just a regular dude
Messages
294
Location
Utah
You have two choices, Miller or Lincoln. Eastwood may have a quality device, however, do you really want to risk it? I've used about everything there is; and I have Miller only because they support their equipment forever, and they just keep ticking. I've heard good things about Lincoln, but I know by experience that the day they started selling at Home Depot, their quality fell substantially.

Your first welder should always be a MIG. All houses have 220v, and 220v is mainly what you use in wheeling stuff. If you're doing autobody 110v is fine (or you have to lug it to a rooftop).

What you should look for is duty cycle. The percentage they give is how long in every hour you can use your welder.... thus, 20% is 12 minutes of weld time per hour (most cheap welders have 15-30% duty cycles).... and by experience again I'll say that the house brands tend to be less capable of meeting the duty cycle whereas the Millers all will run at least that long.

Also, if you're planning on welding aluminum, you can't with 110v, they just don't get hot enough

Perfect. you are one of the experts I was citing above. Glad you chimed in. I have just spent the last 60 mins looking at the lincolns. Miller I think is still out of my price range for now.
 

RamRod

Well-Known Member
Messages
3,914
Location
AB, Canada
I got my Hobart 110v flux core set-up used (not even a full spool of wire through it) for $120...... It's been useful but if I spent any more money then that I would have been disappointed!

Go straight to a 220 w/ gas and you won't regret it
 

USMC_TOP

Well-Known Member
Messages
491
Location
Muir Michigan
I use to Tig and Mig weld SS Ventilation hoods /sinks etc. Hobart and Miller; you can't go wrong. Gas shielding is the way to go for sure. That flux core wire welding is for hillbillies. You got great replies from people that do know what they are talking about on this thread. Listen to them.....:) it depends on what type of metal you are welding when it comes to wire and shielding gas percentage. If I remember correctly you need a higher percent of gas mixture for welding SS and aluminum, most anyone can mig weld and for the most part mig gives you strong good looking welds. If you want truly beautiful welds, learn how to Tig weld. Take a class at your local community college after you master mig and shield metal arc welding.
 

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Messages
9,503
Location
Meridian, ID
Go 220. I have been welding for a few years...use it for 4x4 projects and some other small things. Having a welder changes everything you do when it comes to wrenching...

I have a Lincoln 180 power mig 180C. The non Home Depot version....it's great once I figured I was using polarity for flux and I had gas set up.
 

LoJac963

Well-Known Member
Messages
491
Location
Surprise, AZ
Having a welder changes everything you do when it comes to wrenching...

I could only imagine, figured I'd chime in. I was also looking into some basic welding, only done it once in my life when I was about 17. Rented a wire feed from home depot and splattered molten metal all over everything until I was happy-it was pretty sad.

I was going to buy a cheap HB setup just to learn on but listening to you guys it would be better to spend a little more. I would absolutely LOVE to have the ability to weld in my garage and fabricate things for my 2!
 

Scarsman

Sponsor
Messages
1,561
Location
Monroe, WA
As said, I would really recommend skipping the 110V. You are really limited to about 1/8" with them. You can do 3/16" under certain conditions, but is not optimum. Especially if you are inexperienced.

As for Eastwood welders; I would say run fast and far away! Eastwoods are rebranded Everlast machines, which are Chinese imports, and in the welding world are known as Neverlast. It is not uncommon for them to come DOA.

For a good affordable welder it's really hard to beat Hobart. They are made by Miller and cost less. I've had a Handler 140 for about 5 years and have run over 150 lbs of wire through it with no problems. It is 110V, but I just use it for light stuff. I have a big Miller for the big stuff.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk
 
Last edited:

MaxPF

AGNTSA
Messages
1,394
Location
The dark side of the globe
I've been welding since I was a teenager. I agree with what has already been said: Don't waste your money on a 110V machine, get a Miller or Hobart, a GOOD helmet, .035" ER70S-6 wire, 75/25 shielding gas, and practice, practice, practice. It is VERY helpful to either take a class or have an experienced welder teach you the proper technique. Noobs inevitably go too slow, too fast, weld in a continuous erratic stream (with poor penetration), etc. A class or experienced welder can teach you the right way to weld and help you avoid mistakes that you have to un-learn later.
 

4speedfunk

Well-Known Member
Messages
4,250
Location
Tardville
I'm not a pro-welder by any means...but I know a good weld when I see it. I hang-out with some amazing welders...guys that do industrial stuff, and even nuclear-duty certified welders. They are true artists, and welding is a skill that you can't fake. Its a lot like playing guitar...lots of guys play, and most of em sit around and talk the talk but, the b.s. ends when you hand a guy a guitar (or a welder)...and he flat out nails it. Then he hands the guitar (or welder) back to you, and suddenly you realize this guy is on a whole nuther level. But, don't let this discourage you. I know some backyard welders that are awesome too.

One thing I want to mention to newb welders, specifically on the Hobart: Sometimes I get a nasty weld and I start second guessing my settings. Nine times out of ten...if I flip the cover open, and check the chart on the lid...(for recommended amperage and wire speed)...I got something jacked out of place! Once I correct the settings...its perfect again. Use the chart on the lid...it works.

The other one-time out of ten, its me doing something wrong! There is no chart for the human side of welding. Just like guitar...it takes practice practice practice.
 

chaos254

Well-Known Member
Messages
577
Location
United States
For those of us that dont do a lot of welding and dont want to spend 1000+ on a setup. Why wouldnt a stick/arc welder work? I know it wont be as pretty but I cant justify a mig setup.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
 
Last edited:

SuperBuickGuy

Well-Known Member
Messages
3,403
Location
Woodinville, WA
For those of us that dont do a lot of welding and dont want to spend 1000+ on a setup. Why wouldnt a stick/arc welder work? I know it wont be as pretty but I cant justify a mig setup.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

you're still stuck buying a good power source - and those aren't cheap. Another disadvantage is it is artistry to weld with stick - they are a lot harder to learn how to property use. MIG, especially the auto-set welders, you simply point and shoot (it gets you acceptable welds, but eventually, you learn your own heat settings based on what you're doing).... that said, when I finally put an on-board welder on my Hummer, it will be an arc welder because it's a lot less weight (converter, 6011 rod and some short leads) - but even so, I used to weld a lot with arc welding; but it's probably been at least 10 years since I did it last; and it is a perishable skill.

I've seen some pretty amazing deals on Miller 250 welders (non-portable, 220v mig) on Craigslist. Last swap meet I went to (a couple months ago), I could have bought a 250 Miller for $400 - complete with everything. And again, that's another advantage of Miller, you can safely buy a used machine knowing if it breaks that parts are available and all repair shops can fix a Miller.

Hobarts, in my experience, are of similar characteristics and build as the Lincolns (which is not a recommendation for or against).
 

Airborne

Just a regular dude
Messages
294
Location
Utah
Gentlemen the replies are awesome! From it looks like I am not the only one to benefit from you guys sharing with every one.
Based on the suggestions I will be going with a 220. Most likely a dual power set up. I like the idea of that, as the 220 might not be available if I need to haul it to someone else's house.
So I have narrowed it down to these. I understand there is going to be fact and opinion both in the responses to this next question.
Which one? :)

Hobart 210 MVP
http://www.amazon.com/Hobart-500553...qid=1397151257&sr=1-1&keywords=hobart+210+mvp
Lincoln 180 Dual
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/Equipment/Pages/product.aspx?product=K3018-2(LincolnElectric)

I think the millers are a little too far out of my price range still....
 
Last edited:
Top