• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Performance Mods?

derian06

Red Rockett
Messages
1,866
Location
Madison, AL
Currently I have iridium spark plugs, air doc intake, pcm tune, and a new air filter. Besides a cat back, what other performance mods can I do? I'm getting 11-12 mpg city and its terrible.
 

Happy Hummer

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,462
Location
Wisconsin
Drive like a lil ol granny. Ha ha.
Seriously, stay out of the pedal.
That's usually good for 1 to 2 more mpg.
Chris
 

SolidusJ

Well-Known Member
Messages
2,028
Location
FT. Carson, CO
Drive like a lil ol granny. Ha ha.
Seriously, stay out of the pedal.
That's usually good for 1 to 2 more mpg.
Chris

Very ture, I just went back up to 14MPG and that's with a lift kit on 35".

You could also look into
-PCM E-fan Kit
-Header
-Polish TB
-SuperSparkz Ignition Coil Spark Plug Spring Delete (said by poweraidon)
-Smaller Tire/Non-MT's
-Remover roof rack (you won't believe how much of a killer that is)
-Oil change
-Seafoam treatment
 

derian06

Red Rockett
Messages
1,866
Location
Madison, AL
It is a Hummer and it is well worth the poor gas mileage, but i need to make a list on what performance upgrades I can get over the years. If theres someone who could explain how each one works and where to get it, this would be a really useful thread.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

digglesworth

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,789
Location
illinois
I'm getting 17+ with 35s and a bunch of extra weight. I've gotten as high as 21. With the truck fully loaded for a camping/wheeling trip I get around 15. Once I got a scangauge hooked up, I started teaching myself how to drive more smoothly and maximize mpg. There's no reason to dog the truck way up in the revs to keep up with all the impatient a-holes out there. I just keep to my own pace and if anyone doesn't like it, they can go around me. Our trucks are not on-road performance vehicles by far... I think driving habits play a big role in our trucks efficiency. I notice a big difference from cruising at 60 vs cruising at 70. It downshifts a lot more at 70 trying to keep the pace up. I go as far as to drop in behind semi's and campers to gain a few mpg. And its not as hard on my tranny out on the open road. My tranny temps drop by as much as 10deg and I usually gain 2-3 mpg. Sure I may have to slow down to 55 or 60mph but the truck runs so much more efficiently. I think people expect too much out of our overweight, underpowered boxes on wheels.
 

derian06

Red Rockett
Messages
1,866
Location
Madison, AL
17+ HOLY CRAP, I would drive like even more of a granny than i already do. Where can i get a scan gauge? That seems pretty useful.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

digglesworth

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,789
Location
illinois
IMAG0716.jpgI picked mine up on amazon for like $130... Search "Scangauge II"... They do a LOT of stuff. You can program in the code to monitor trans temp too. I got a mount to mount it to my rearview mirror... They plug straight in to your OBD port...
 

Airborne

Just a regular dude
Messages
294
Location
Utah
Ya check my sig. I get 16.5 city and around 20 highway. I don't drive the I5 nice either so I keep up with "a$$holes" cited above. But it is very very well maintained. I just switched to redline 0w-20 oil and that got me an honest 1 mpg. I disagree with best 4x4 about the Efan. Mine isn't a pcmofnc one though. It's 95 degrees today and it keeps my truck below half on the dash gauge. That's city driving too below 35 mph and lots of stop lights so not a bunch of air naturally moving through the radiator.
Any way it gave me the most solid mpg gains and noticeable power increase of any single mod.
 

poweraidon

Well-Known Member
Messages
830
Location
georgia
Ya check my sig. I get 16.5 city and around 20 highway. I don't drive the I5 nice either so I keep up with "a$$holes" cited above. But it is very very well maintained. I just switched to redline 0w-20 oil and that got me an honest 1 mpg. I disagree with best 4x4 about the Efan. Mine isn't a pcmofnc one though. It's 95 degrees today and it keeps my truck below half on the dash gauge. That's city driving too below 35 mph and lots of stop lights so not a bunch of air naturally moving through the radiator.
Any way it gave me the most solid mpg gains and noticeable power increase of any single mod.

What brand is yours?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Woodtick

Well-Known Member
Messages
801
Location
Ilanoid, UP MI
I'm at the same mpg as above,16 city/19-20 highway. The only time I drop below that,is when I pull my enclosed sled trailer. Keep an eye on your tack while driving. Something isn't right,if it's a I5.
 

digglesworth

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,789
Location
illinois
+1 for general maintenance. Keep your air filter, maf and tb clean. I run royal purple hmx in the engine. Synthetic gear oil in the diffs. I keep it aligned and regularly check tire pressure. It doesn't seem like much but it will keep your truck running it's best. I had a fuel system treatment done at the dealer a few thousand miles ago and had a trans flush as well. I have an 06 w/ the 3.5 so I'm at a little bit of a disadvantage over the guys with the 3.7. About a 22hp disadvantage. Lol. Once you clean your maf and tb, disconnect your battery and reset the pcm... Let it adjust the ratios again.
 

poweraidon

Well-Known Member
Messages
830
Location
georgia
+1 for general maintenance. Keep your air filter, maf and tb clean. I run royal purple hmx in the engine. Synthetic gear oil in the diffs. I keep it aligned and regularly check tire pressure. It doesn't seem like much but it will keep your truck running it's best. I had a fuel system treatment done at the dealer a few thousand miles ago and had a trans flush as well. I have an 06 w/ the 3.5 so I'm at a little bit of a disadvantage over the guys with the 3.7. About a 22hp disadvantage. Lol. Once you clean your maf and tb, disconnect your battery and reset the pcm... Let it adjust the ratios again.

Wait you have to disconnect the battery after you clean your maf and tb?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Peep

Well-Known Member
Messages
417
Location
Belize
I get 18 in the city and 21 on the highway. I am just ordering mods but mostly I have a stock I5 with big lights.
I have Amsoil in the engine, diff and tyranny. Air filter is kept ultra clean.
 

USMC_TOP

Well-Known Member
Messages
491
Location
Muir Michigan
I have been testing 93 octane over 87. 93 gets me 20 hwy easy. 87 runs 15 16. My truck is all stock but the K&N air filter. 285 r75 tires adventure pkg.
 

SolidusJ

Well-Known Member
Messages
2,028
Location
FT. Carson, CO
attachment.php
I picked mine up on amazon for like $130... Search "Scangauge II"... They do a LOT of stuff. You can program in the code to monitor trans temp too. I got a mount to mount it to my rearview mirror... They plug straight in to your OBD port...

The Bullydog Watchdog system is also a worth looking into.
 

derian06

Red Rockett
Messages
1,866
Location
Madison, AL
Is something wrong if im getting 12mpg? I cleaned my maf and throttle body about 2k miles ago and i'm due for an oil change.

Also my acceleration and power is through the roof, and no check engine light or anything.

Just hit 77777 miles today, i'm going to be changing my oil in the next couple days so i'll try that redline


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Last edited:
Top