• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Performance Mods?

tnd2

Member
Messages
19
Location
Tidewater, Va
06 Adventure, auto trans(rebuilt by PO about 20k ago), I5 with 120K, Air Doc intake using stock filter & box, everything else in the powertrain is stock. No roof rack, factory brush guard, and leveled on 285/75r16's. I usually run 5mph over (my speedo reads 1mph slow), my daily commute is a total of 50 miles mostly open road 60 & 65mph with the last mile bumper to bumper city traffic. I usually get roughly 350 miles before the low fuel warning and in cooler weather(no ac) I get 17.3-17.6, when running ac all week it drops to 16.4-16.7.
 

rsc

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,087
Location
Tulsa
Sounds about right, wait til you add bumpers, winch, roof rack and lights and some aggressive 35's.
 

zefrum

Active Member
Messages
35
Location
The Woodlands, TX
0w20 synthetic oil...does it cause more wear?

Ya I promise those numbers are legit. I get over 400 miles out of a tank. I try not to get down to 1/8th tank unless I am doing a fuel treatment so I am not sure the "exact" full tank to zero numbers. As far as the how, check my sig that is everything I have done. I don't always have all the ucp and rock rails on when I am mall crawling though so that saves prob close to 400 lbs in dead weight.
I also run 4.5 quarts 0w-20 redline full synthetic oil, 1 quart amsoil 5w-30 and a can of ceratec. Lighter oil resists less which means less fuel is needed to get pistons moving etc. Before we start a huge fight. I know 5w-30 is what GM recomends. I ran amsoil 5w-30 exclusively before but now I am convinced the redline is the way to go. There is an entire forum dedicated to oil on the net see there for oil arguments :)
A real legit tune helps too. The "canned" tunes from various people only get you close, they cant really take into effect your driving habits and terrain differences. For the guys that want real performance get hptuners and tune your self. It's not hard.
I opened a thread a while back when I was seriously looking for an alpha, I test drove a bunch and was underwhelmed in the power difference between what I have done to my I5 and a stock alpha. I could easily pull on a stock Alpha right now. That being said a modified alpha would be a different matter.
but....
If you are getting 12 mpg with an alpha I am going to consider getting an H2 now.
There is a sick SUT here that just went up for sale...

Whats the disadvantage of using such a lighter grade of oil in the I5 or the V8s?
-I ve been thinking about going to a 0w30 synthetic soon because it just hit 48F last night and I wanna reduce cold start up wear, but dropping to a Xw20... And Im sure you feel more power too along with the mpgs!
 
S

SedonaBound

Guest
I'm sure it says the same thing in the I5 manual, but airborne is having pretty good luck,
He won't really know that for 20K or 30K miles, when the effects on engine wear may show up. Bearings and rings are engineered for a specific oil viscosity range. Less viscosity (at a given pressure) = less clearance under load; that's physics. There's very little to be gained with lighter oil than in the specs (unless you're in the Arctic) so why take the chance on wearing out the engine prematurely? FWIW, I used to get 18-19 mpg on long interstate trips with a stock 3.5 I5 Adventure, 14-15 in town with 285 tires.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

derian06

Red Rockett
Messages
1,866
Location
Madison, AL
He won't really know that for 20K or 30K miles, when the effects on engine wear may show up. Bearings and rings are engineered for a specific oil viscosity range. Less viscosity = less clearance under load; that's physics. There's very little to be gained with lighter oil than in the specs (unless you're in the Arctic) so why take the chance on wearing out the engine prematurely? FWIW, I used to get 18-19 mpg on long interstate trips with a stock 3.5 I5 Adventure, 14-15 in town with 285 tires.

True, i'll have to see the long term effects.
 

DanyMeza

Probationary Member
Messages
4
Location
SLO
I just installed a Hypertech computer programer in my I5 adjusting for my 33' tires and premium fuel and I am really feeling the response, it changed a lot the way it accelerates, my revs used to suddenly jump up to 6-7k every time I had to get in the freeway and now acceleration is smooth and more responsive. I've never done before to any of my cars a "performance upgrade" I was skeptical but I think I just got hooked to do some more stuff. Airaid intake system, air aid throttle body spacer.

this is to much english for me already :whaa:
 
Top