• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

How to by pass the tpms

silvrzuki77

Well-Known Member
Messages
556
Location
Vegas
Hey guys, I havent seen anyone do this yet on here soo I thought I would share. I have a 09 H3 adv and the tpms has been driving me nuts both on road and off. Even reset by the dealer the light would not go off if the pressure was above 38psi. I think the door says 34psi with the factory 33's. Anyways I put 315's on it yesterday and had them pull my sensor's out. (mexicali shop) Now I know the government wants everyone to be safe and requires the tpms in new cars, but I am a big boy and now how to check my own air pressure. Here is the steps to fool the system with out any serious work.
Step 1 - remove sensors from wheels.

Step 2 - go to favorite do it your self store Lowes home depot....

Step 3 - buy 3" pvc pipe with 2 end caps and pvc primer and glue

Step 4 - Cut pvc pipe down to 4.5" and glue cap on one side

Step 5 - wrap all sensor's in paper towel and place in pipe
can.jpg


Step 6 - Drill in my case a 5/16th hole and place a metal valve stem in hole with rtv on inside of cap for good measure

Step 7 - glue cap with valve stem onto pvc pipe with all sensors inside. (pull core when glueing final cap on to release air pressure)

Step 8 - let sit for min 2 hours then fill with 50 psi and spray with windex to check for leaks.

Step 9 - hide pvc can in car and enjoy:thumbs:

can1.jpg

And my h3 on 35"s
h3tires.jpg
 

08SolarFlareH3

Super Swampers
Messages
2,525
Location
Finger Lakes, NY
I only see one flaw with this. I am pretty sure the sensors are motion activated to save on battery life. Meaning the sensors go to sleep until the wheels start spinning and awake the sensors. I could be wrong. Btw, nice looking 3! Love the snorkel and tire choice.
 
Last edited:

silvrzuki77

Well-Known Member
Messages
556
Location
Vegas
Tires havent rotated in 4 days with the sensors in them in 3 days. Toyota has the same sensors and this mod is where i got the idea. Soo far soo good i hope for my sake your wrong lol. Ill post back up in a week if i throw a tpms warning but i figure if it was motion activated it would of happened by now. Worst case i break the bead near the valve and pop them back in. Thanks for the compliment.
 

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Messages
9,503
Location
Meridian, ID
interesting! I like this mod...I am keeping my TPMS for now. looking forward to see the long term results.
 

08SolarFlareH3

Super Swampers
Messages
2,525
Location
Finger Lakes, NY
Tires havent rotated in 4 days with the sensors in them in 3 days. Toyota has the same sensors and this mod is where i got the idea. Soo far soo good i hope for my sake your wrong lol. Ill post back up in a week if i throw a tpms warning but i figure if it was motion activated it would of happened by now. Worst case i break the bead near the valve and pop them back in. Thanks for the compliment.
Its a question best left for F5MOAB to answer, he would know more about this then me. I like your custom rock rails also, got any more pictures of your H3? :)
 

deserth3

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,078
Location
Conroe, TX
Interesting.
I would think if it didn't work would know by now.

If you ever have to replace or repair a tire away from home. You may have problems getting it done.
 
Last edited:

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
Messages
2,288
Location
Raleigh, NC
I always thought the sensors had to be close to the receivers in the wheel wells, but I guess if it's working, then who cares!!! :)


"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone
 

08SolarFlareH3

Super Swampers
Messages
2,525
Location
Finger Lakes, NY
I always thought the sensors had to be close to the receivers in the wheel wells, but I guess if it's working, then who cares!!! :)


"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone
Here is an old post I found from F5
There is only ONE module for the H3 that reads the TP sensor signals. That module is the BCM. The BCM has a little antenna that receives the signals from all TP sensors, including the spare.

Even though the BCM will read all five sensors on those vehicles with five sensors, it will only recognize four. That is why you can rotate the four on the ground and not have to reprogram the BCM, but if you bring in the spare when rotating, you need to set the four sensors on the ground to be read by the BCM. If not, it will continue to read the new spare and not read the old spare that is on the ground.

Those other vehicles that have corner specific sensors, did use a separate module to read the signals and send the information to the BCM. However, on most vehicles that one module was located in the rear of the vehicle. Newer ones don't require the separate module for the corner specific models.
 
Last edited:

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
Messages
2,288
Location
Raleigh, NC
Good stuff!!!! Just solved my issues. I was going to get the Hutchinson TPMS kit, but now I can scrap that idea. :) I think I'll put them somewhere in the frame. One for safety, and also because the vibrations might activate the sensors. Thanks guys!!!


"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited:

silvrzuki77

Well-Known Member
Messages
556
Location
Vegas
So far soo good on the sensor not kicking in. Goin to do a little trail ride to day probally a 100 mi total I will post up again later. Deseth3 I didnt understand your question about having the tires serviced or replaced.
Here is somewhat recent pic from Death Valley.
DV2011octday1011.jpg
 

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
Messages
2,288
Location
Raleigh, NC
I think what he means is that some tire stores won't work on your truck if they find out you disabled your TPMS.


"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone
 

deserth3

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,078
Location
Conroe, TX
Well i guess technically speaking it still works lol.

Just as long as the tech doesn't realise the sensor isn't in the wheel.

I broke the stem off the sensor in my spare. Firestone looked it up on computer to make sure it wasn't monitored before they would put a normal tire stem on it.
 
Last edited:

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Messages
9,503
Location
Meridian, ID
Do u have any concerns with it losing air or getting water intrusion if you put it on the exterior of the vehicle

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
 

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
Messages
2,288
Location
Raleigh, NC
Do u have any concerns with it losing air or getting water intrusion if you put it on the exterior of the vehicle

Water intrusion is never an issue as long as the internal pressure is greater that the ambient pressure. If its built right there shouldn't be any air pressure loss. Many ways to check it before using it.


"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone
 

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
Messages
2,288
Location
Raleigh, NC
Anyone know how to "synch" new sensors to the vehicle? I remember reading about it in the old forum. I sold my old rims with the sensors since they didn't fit on the new rims.


"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone
 

silvrzuki77

Well-Known Member
Messages
556
Location
Vegas
Alright guys got back from a trail ride. 1 good thing I got out. 2 bad things. cut a nub off the fc2 and can just see the metal cord not too concerned at the moment just need to find another one. And the Sensor light came on after 30mi of driving at the trailhead so about 200 some miles since I did it trouble free. Then afterwards when we were leaving sensor went off. I have had tpms problems before when they were installed properly and chevy hasnt been able to figure it out. I habe a friend with a very high end code reader soo Im goin to hook it up to his laptop. Im hopin I have a bad sensor which i think i do. Soo hold on everyone till i figure this out for sure. lol
Flex pic of todays ride
PC010003.jpg
 

silvrzuki77

Well-Known Member
Messages
556
Location
Vegas
Im waiting or my friend to email more pics from the trip. Was thinkin about the pressure can i bumped it up to 60 psi before i left no real reason. Im wonderin if its setting a high pressure warning? Hmmmm ill keep updatin
 

tomp

Well-Known Member
Messages
256
Location
Dallas
This is an excellent attempt at resolving our age old TPMS problem, especially for those with the Hutchinson H3 beadlocks. Silvrzuki77, I do think your issue sounds like its just a bad sensor, so please keep us updated. I have thought of doing this exact same mod for quote some time. However, I was thinking of constructing a seperate chamber for each sensor, so the manual resetting process can be used from the owners manual - where the BCM module recognizes one sensor at a time. What prevented my from doing it was the manual process takes a few seconds of airing up or airing down before the sensor gets recognized and using such a small chamber wouldn't allow for a long term airing process unless incoming air was moving really slow. Can you please tell me how you are clearing the TPMS DIC warning? Are you using a scanner? Thank you for taking the time to do this mod and for sharing!
 
Top