• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Alpha Towing Questions ...

H

H3Ray

Guest
BIG Thanks all the great feedback. :thumbs:

Can't give up my beloved Alpha, and buying a top of the line Car Trailer and a Heavy Duty 3500 Truck is serious business. I would love to be able to tow my Show Car to shows and the thought of owning a nice work Trailer with all the bells and whistles is appealing. The Trailer is not just for hauling the Car ... Would also be used for haling equipment, my Bikes, etc.

I've always loved the Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4 Dually Truck ....... But again, this is a serious expense.
:whaa:

What are the Pros and Cons to Dually Trucks?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

silvrzuki77

Well-Known Member
Messages
556
Location
Vegas
Pros. Tow capacity, stability towing, more than you need to tow that small trailer, and looks cool.

Cons. hard to park, more tires to buy, if you lose a rear tire no more rear fender
 

USMC_TOP

Well-Known Member
Messages
491
Location
Muir Michigan
Broken record Mash Motors........lol. In the future I hope they will sell their custom harness and PCM for the LS Swap..........[emoji2]


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Woodtick

Well-Known Member
Messages
801
Location
Ilanoid, UP MI
That's not a show car. You will get more respect driving it to shows. Even more respect running it at the track all day and then driving it home. Drive it like a borrowed Jeep.
 
H

H3Ray

Guest
If I were in your situation and had $20k to spend on a Truck to tow my Toys.

I never said only "tow my toys". I want the freedom to move equipment, furniture, stuff - work related. Often times I need to move or haul large pieces. I suppose I could buy a small 1500 lb Enclosed Motorcycle Trailer ... stuff it full and make multiple trips and a lot cheaper. But ideally I would like have a 3500 Truck and a high quality Trailer.


Thanks
 
Last edited by a moderator:
H

H3Ray

Guest
Ghostbuster - Thanks for that Link. That Ram 3500 looks like a good deal.
 

Ghostbuster

Well-Known Member
Messages
862
Location
United States
I never said only "tow my toys". I want the freedom to move equipment, furniture, stuff - work related. Often times I need to move or haul large pieces. I suppose I could buy a small 1500 lb Enclosed Motorcycle Trailer ... stuff it full and make multiple trips and a lot cheaper.


Thanks

Your alpha can do all that stuff you just said...

so yeah

Your $20k truck would be towing your toys (zr1) AND the furniture etc.

On second thought... If I were you, I'd buy a small-medium trailer to haul stuff with the alpha, and just drive the ZR1 to the shows etc.

1. You'd have fun driving in your ZR1
2. You don't have to buy a rig for just towing another rig...
3. You save money
4. That money can be used in other areas such as upgrades/service to your current rigs.


edit: I meant your alpha can do all that BUT tow your ZR1... you just need a nice trailer or two. I'd get a nice round tube, flat bed trailer and then a small enclosed trailer like you mentioned.
 
Last edited:

H3nightrod

Well-Known Member
Messages
413
Location
Illinois
Keep the alpha. Should do just fine. I have one and have put her to the test many times and still do. Get a good trailer brake installed to help with stopping power. I have towed well over limit on 35s and with gear without any issues. Maybe consider a external trans cooler as another mod.
 

silvrzuki77

Well-Known Member
Messages
556
Location
Vegas
Think we are saying it can be done...... But shouldnt. Its your rig and liability do whatever makes you happy. If you are super intent on overloading your truck better start investigating on proper towing equipment.
 

Ghostbuster

Well-Known Member
Messages
862
Location
United States
To be clear you Guys are saying there is no way I can pull a 1995 ZR1 Corvette on an open or enclosed trailer with my Alpha?
I thought we already went over the fact that it would be beyond the tow ratings of the alpha.. therefore a no go..

I'm not saying there is "no way" it can pull your zr1... there is always a way lol
 

Ghostbuster

Well-Known Member
Messages
862
Location
United States
Ghostbuster: Can my Alpha tow this Trailer with 2 motorcycles inside plus tools? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyARubclm5w
:whaa:

Car trailer.
You have a car.
You can tow a car and a car trailer... but not with a stock alpha UNLESS you want to tow beyond the ratings or that trailer is really as light as a feather lol

To answer your question: two harleys= 1600 pounds plus 250 pounds of gear plus unkown weight of CAR trailer. = maybe

You should not buy a car trailer to haul motorcycles with your h3.
If you buy a car trailer... your are eventually gonna stuff your car in it. Wooops your h3 is not rating to tow that much weight.

Sorry for the mean response but if you ask stupid questions or questions that you should know the answers to on the internet then yeah you get responses like these.

best of luck to you
 

RamRod

Well-Known Member
Messages
3,914
Location
AB, Canada
From personal experience I don't like to pull anything more then 3500lbs with my alpha, the Rancho kit sure doesn't help, but anything more then that I just don't feel comfortable.... That said I am not sure what the boat and trailers tongue weight is as I am sure that could make a huge difference in what I am comfortable with pulling
 
H

H3Ray

Guest
From personal experience I don't like to pull anything more then 3500lbs with my alpha, the Rancho kit sure doesn't help.

Good point RamRod. That said, have you guys ever considered that by raising your Rig, you are hurting your pull capabilities?
 

RamRod

Well-Known Member
Messages
3,914
Location
AB, Canada
Good point RamRod. That said, have you guys ever considered that by raising your Rig, you are hurting your pull capabilities?

I think it's more an issue cause from the increased tire size (in my case 37's) and the POS Rancho rear leafs.

I think the OEM springs with a SOA would be a better pulling rig then the Rancho


Sent from handheld smoke signal device
 
H

H3Ray

Guest
Vehicle = 3,200 lbs
Featherlite 3110 Open Trailer = 1,500 lbs
Spare Tire & Assembly = 100 lbs
-----------------
Total = 4,800 lbs


Being self employed I'd haul other stuff, not just a vehicle.


Alpha H3 (6,000 lb limit ).

Featherlite 3110 Open Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mho_2mvYWmg
 

maverick2

Active Member
Messages
27
Location
Idaho
As to your original question, if I were in your shoes, the answer would depend on the application. If relatively short hauls, flat terrain, and you're an experienced tow vehicle driver with "common sense", I'd not be afraid to tow that load with the Alpha. (First thing I'd buy is a good equalizer hitch -- speaking from past experience towing with undersized stuff due to limited funds and having to "make do", the equalizer hitch makes a huge difference...) On the other hand, if you're towing a lot, making long trips, drive with a lot of elevation changes, or are the type that can't stand not pulling any hill at less than 60 mph, you'd better go with the bigger rig...

 

derian06

Red Rockett
Messages
1,866
Location
Madison, AL
Heres a stock I5 towing a huge pontoon boat ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413045615.578322.jpg
 

Best4x4

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,042
Location
Vidor, TX
I was on my home from Lafayette, LA going 75MPH. I looked in my rearview mirror and saw another H3 behind me. I got over to let them pass and it was an I5 H3 towing the large Uhaul car carrier. It had what looked like a Cobra or some kind of race car chassis on it. I was curious so I matched his speed and they were going 80-85MPH with no issues. Even went over the tall bridge in Lake Charles without an issue. I was impressed the H3 could tow that so easy!
 

Woodtick

Well-Known Member
Messages
801
Location
Ilanoid, UP MI
It's not what they can pull,it's what they can stop and the chassis can handle. Take a good look at the factory hitch,it's not a true class three. I'm not sure why this is so hard to grasp.
 
Top