• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Front locker, when to use it?

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Messages
9,503
Location
Meridian, ID
This is some good stuff...:corn:


Highatop...I saw you have an 06 base. I have an 06 lux (no adv. package) and added a rear locker, then the 4:1 t case and now a front locker. While its more expensive in the end seeing the difference with each mod has been amazing. I cant wait to see how the front locker does.
 

H3-ING

AdventureTime
Messages
156
Location
Newport Heights
I have an 06 lux (no adv. package) and added a rear locker, then the 4:1 t case and now a front locker. While its more expensive in the end seeing the difference with each mod has been amazing. I cant wait to see how the front locker does.

Remember this short off camber hill climb on Nightmare Gulch?

I climbed up locked front and rear no prob.

I don't think you would have any difficulties now that your locked up and 4:1 t case.

Use my front locker with my rear 80% of the time.

Makes obstacles look easy. I need your lift to keep up with you now.

29910B70-2173-4461-A675-A43C8DD76995-15068-0000067637E26715.jpg
 

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Messages
9,503
Location
Meridian, ID
Now that I think about it that hill was the perfect example of what a front locker can do. your lockers and 4:1 kicked my ass on that hill! I want to try that trail again. I didn't have a 4:1 either last Jan/feb when we ran it. Next time we hit the trails ill be locked up and with a 4:1 so I neef revenge on that hil. Luckily you saved my ass from sliding off on that section.

I know you mentioned you wanted to run John Bull a while back. I'm comfortable leading it whenever your free. Hope all is well and hope to see u soon Rob
 

4speedfunk

Well-Known Member
Messages
4,250
Location
Tardville
As a midwestern "mud, creek, and forest" type of wheeler...I'm always amazed at the terrain you guys have out west. What a playground! I would seriously never get anything done if I had those trails just up the road from me.
 

cbetts

NERD!!!
Messages
3,188
Location
Rancho Palos Verdes, CA
"Nightmare Gulch Temporary Closure

Nightmare Gulch Posted Order
This temporary closure is due to public safety and natural resource issues. For additional information, email Sector Superintendent Rick Reisenhofer. Thank you for your cooperation. "
Well, the rains really did some damage to the trails, so they say.

We saw a lot of changes on LCC a few weeks ago. I can imagine how NG got affected.
 

RamRod

Well-Known Member
Messages
3,914
Location
AB, Canada
ALL of my local trials have entire sections of trail that got ruined during spring floods this year.

Water is a extremely powerful force and it always amazes me what it can do.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
 

jakesz28

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,056
Location
Cabool MO
As a midwestern "mud, creek, and forest" type of wheeler...I'm always amazed at the terrain you guys have out west. What a playground! I would seriously never get anything done if I had those trails just up the road from me.


I had fun out there in the spring. Now I'm tired of traveling and I'm looking at relocating in Colorado or Utah. With any luck I will be enjoying this type of wheein'.
 

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Messages
9,503
Location
Meridian, ID
The wheeling out west is great but I want to experience the midwest and east coast mud...according to some, moab is easy compared to dodging trees and hitting mud pits.

I hope to have my front diff back this week. Btw, Jakez28 did so much in moab open/open but disconnected the front and rear sway bars. I did moab with the rear disconnected and next time I plan to disconnect the front. I have done that in so cal and it makes a big difference.
 

Steve #1

Well-Known Member
Messages
534
Location
TEXAS
For us people with manual transmissions, lockers are a necessity. I don't think I will ever add a front locker though. I may not be able to BTM very well, but my traction control always seems to do the job as long as I am patient and give it a chance to work.

Lockers aren't a necessity with a manual.... you just have to be GOOD. :wink: It is, however, a bit unnerving with a manual on a slope waiting on the TC to kick in. I'm sure it's not as much of an issue on the later models with hill start assist. One of these days I'm going to dig in and figure out a way to switch the parking brake over to a hand operated release.

BTM is an "open diff" technique. It causes the spiders gears to alternate from right-to-left dominance, and it works on any open-diffed rig, (done it many times with open-diffed Jeeps). It honestly doesn't do much by itself. But on the H3...the puter will step-in and work with BTM to take full advantage of moving around the power to the wheel that needs it. The puter needs to sense wheels spinning at different speeds to do anything. BTM simply uses the brakes to fake the puter into searching for traction at one of the corners. Without using the brakes...the system still works in the same way. The only difference is that you have to apply more throttle and induce wheelspin for the puter to sense it. And as we all know...that's not healthy for your H3. So BTM is a way to induce traction control at a relatively low speed, without mashing the throttle and spinning the hell out of the wheels. Simply put...it allows you to crawl slowly and still use the TCS, something that is unique and special about late model TC-equipped rigs.

Last week I wheeled with several groups, and I saw completely different techniques between old school "gun & go" rigs....and late model IFS/TCS rigs. FJ-cruisers, Xterras, and Hummers make very difficult obstacles look easy (and downright boring to the spectator), and its all due to the electronic systems and proper BTM technique. There will always be a place in my heart for a 6000 rpm assault up a rutted-out ravine but, seeing bone stock IFS rigs tackle the same terrain at 3 mph is equally amazing...just in a different way.

I may have just not followed exactly what you were saying, but for those following along, on the H3, applying the brake will disable the traction control.
 

telemike

Hummer Enthusiast
Messages
466
Location
Greensboro, NC
Years ago, my 1989 4Runner I had a Detroit Locker out back and a Lock-right in the front. No ABS in those days. While in Michigan, I only had the rear locker and it helped a lot with hill climbs and mud holes. I added the front when I moved to NC when I had problems rock crawling with IFS. It worked great at SLOW crawling over obstacles. Harder to turn though since it was a full-time locker.

The H3 I have only has rear locker and since I don't hard core wheel it, I have not had an issue on milder trails. I use the rear locker where I will be in mud holes and where I could dangle a rear tire in the air to keep moving forward. I am a turtle on the trail and use gear reduction as much as I can for control.
 

jakesz28

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,056
Location
Cabool MO
The wheeling out west is great but I want to experience the midwest and east coast mud...according to some, moab is easy compared to dodging trees and hitting mud pits.

I hope to have my front diff back this week. Btw, Jakez28 did so much in moab open/open but disconnected the front and rear sway bars. I did moab with the rear disconnected and next time I plan to disconnect the front. I have done that in so cal and it makes a big difference.


I think that last day we were on the trails and I walked up that one rock that a couple with lockers needed a little help was deceiving. I was unlocked but disconnected. But no one was lifting a tire. I think the fact that I tried to hit the hill at a small angle went un noticed. Not sure how square I hit the one I'm talking about now. I tried not to listen to the spotter at first to hit at a slight angle. Then let the spotter straighten me out. But sometimes its just luck in the line, a few inches one way or another maybe all it takes. You don't want to hit every thing square. Let one tire climb before the other. It may have been the new tires making the difference.

I think you will find being disconnected and locked will help you get thru more then just being locked. Can't wait to see how far you push this 3. I imagine if you disconnect you may not use the front locker as much. But then again if you have it use it and post some good pics so I come back next year.
 
Last edited:
Top