• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 on 40's.

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Messages
6,561
Location
Arizona
Probably never wheeled it - all show and no offroad go. Tell tail sign - he didn't even bother to buy and mount a 40" spare and decided to keep and lug around a 33" BFG AT. What's the point of that?
 
Last edited:

SuperBuickGuy

Well-Known Member
Messages
3,403
Location
Woodinville, WA
it looks neat, but the stock suspension will have trouble on the street handling the mass of those tires. I've got 33s under mine, soon to be 35s. I want 38s, but I don't want to re-engineer the entire truck. Heck, if I wanted to re-engineer everything; I'd have started with a Jeep.

that said - everything over about 36-38 (on a street truck or suv) isn't for doing a lot of side-hilling; 'tis mostly for the pits and snow (long way of saying "wheeling in my neighborhood).
 

Cajun_Tiger_Hummer

Well-Known Member
Messages
428
Location
Lafayette, La
Did he say anything about how he moved the bumpers up? Custom brackets? Or how it rode with the 40's. From his few post he made, it seems like having 40's on a h3 wasn't to big of a deal. It's hard believe ta set up would last more than a year. I love the stance. I'm already running the Rancho lift, but looking into also adding a 1"body lift and 37's.
 

Corey Barnes

Well-Known Member
Messages
73
Location
Mobile, AL
Yeah I would like to know how he made the bumper and the side steps fit after a two inch body lift!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

h3 on40s

Active Member
Messages
27
Location
Delaware
This might be a little long, sorry. I want to answer some questions. I expected some negative feed back but take it easy on me im a h3 lover to. First the 2" bl is easy. I bought 2" block from zone off road I believe and grade 8 bolts from Grainger. Didn't relocate the bumper just spaced the plastic bumper and modified the fan shroud. I do keep in 3rd only cause It shifts in and out of od. It is my dd and yes it is for the look. Its my business truck so the more attention the better but I do light wheeling, mud and hills. A few mods and she cruises 80 85 with ease and still get 14 mpg. If u guys read my post u know im aware I need to beef up my front end.this summers project. The 40s have only been on since Aug. Its all planed out and I love the performance of my 3. Get back to me. Would love to answer questions.
 

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Messages
6,561
Location
Arizona
OK, glad you joined us and posted up. That says a lot. It will be nice to be able to pick your brain and share some info. You do have a nice rig BTW. Are you planning to get a 40" spare? If you get a flat and run a smaller tire, you will damage the drive train in short order.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapataint
 

4speedfunk

Well-Known Member
Messages
4,250
Location
Tardville
Screw the spare. Tires that big shouldn't be mounted on the door anyway. Just call a tow truck.


BTW...I got the cure for your front end issues, and also your downshifting problem...SAS! And yes you'll be re-engineering the entire truck (but its pretty nice when you get done).
 

h3 on40s

Active Member
Messages
27
Location
Delaware
Yes ill be getting spare soon. I've been known to push my luck. I had screws in all 4 of my nito 37. One of them had 3 in it and they never went flat. Fingers crossed. For now I go with better bushings and bracing to keep it as hummer as possible and to keep my lady from killing me but ill be looking in to it im sure. Thanks for not trashing my truck
 

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
Messages
2,288
Location
Raleigh, NC
I have a 40" mounted on the door. It handles it just fine. I took it off for wheeling because it throws off the center of gravity.


"Ex Umbris Venimus"
 

Cajun_Tiger_Hummer

Well-Known Member
Messages
428
Location
Lafayette, La
This might be a little long, sorry. I want to answer some questions. I expected some negative feed back but take it easy on me im a h3 lover to. First the 2" bl is easy. I bought 2" block from zone off road I believe and grade 8 bolts from Grainger. Didn't relocate the bumper just spaced the plastic bumper and modified the fan shroud. I do keep in 3rd only cause It shifts in and out of od. It is my dd and yes it is for the look. Its my business truck so the more attention the better but I do light wheeling, mud and hills. A few mods and she cruises 80 85 with ease and still get 14 mpg. If u guys read my post u know im aware I need to beef up my front end.this summers project. The 40s have only been on since Aug. Its all planed out and I love the performance of my 3. Get back to me. Would love to answer questions.

Glad to see you make your way to the forum. Any way you can post a front view and rear view of your H3? I'm interested to see how everything was done.
 

4speedfunk

Well-Known Member
Messages
4,250
Location
Tardville
Your biggest issue might be popping a bead. As you mentioned...tires this big can take nails, screws, and minor punctures without leaving you stranded. Getting a 40" spare on/off the door was my concern (not really the functioning of the door itself). Its probably a two-man job. It will also require a 60" high-lift, or a large floor jack under the axle to lift the vehicle high enough to change it. You may have to raise the mount so the tire clears the bumper. And you can also forget any rear vision. So, when you add up all these hassles...it seems to make more sense to just go without, (and it saves you 140 lbs and $600, too!).

Just make sure you got a cell phone...a buddy with a floor jack, 40" spare, and strong back standing-by to come to your aid.
 

rascole

Well-Known Member
Messages
2,837
Location
Bellflower, CA
Yes ill be getting spare soon. I've been known to push my luck. I had screws in all 4 of my nito 37. One of them had 3 in it and they never went flat. Fingers crossed. For now I go with better bushings and bracing to keep it as hummer as possible and to keep my lady from killing me but ill be looking in to it im sure. Thanks for not trashing my truck
Your H3 looks great, like you said it is great advertising for your business AND the H3. People will hate only because now our 35"s look like little 30"s next to yours. I think Subaru's Outback comes with 30"s. Keep us posted on your upgrades WITH PICS AND MORE PICS.
 

h3 on40s

Active Member
Messages
27
Location
Delaware
Thanks for all the support. Not good with computers and don't know how to post pics so help me out. Btw my Goodyear Kevlar 40s weigh less then my nito 37s. They weigh 86 lbs. I've done all the work myself and been a metal worker / fabricator for 24 years so modifying the rear bumper won't be a prob. Again thanks guy's
 
Top