• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Possible long travel kits

Gunick

Well-Known Member
Messages
72
Location
Las Vegas
Baja kits and I have Ben discussing a kit for the H3. They said that if at least 5 of us want them they would go into design and build! They would require 20% down of total cost. Now total cost would be 3k and our 20% down would be 600. Here's a picture that they sent me saying the kit would be almost identacle.

null_zps2810a996.jpg
 

benlaud87

Well-Known Member
Messages
849
Location
Maryland
Is this a front end kit? I'll dump the rancho and go for this depending on what this tentative kit includes.
 

Gunick

Well-Known Member
Messages
72
Location
Las Vegas
So I've asked for some ideas as to what the specs and numbers will be, I'll get that info to everyone as soon as I get it.
 

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Messages
9,503
Location
Meridian, ID
Is this a front end kit? I'll dump the rancho and go for this depending on what this tentative kit includes.

you should be able to run the rancho kit in conjuction with this kit. This kit is longer arms going into the stock location. The Rancho uses the stock mounting places just placed further away from the frame. This kit increases track width and thats how you get the travel. Bebe increased trackwidth to get more travel but to offset that she brought everything inward too. Basically This kit would be longer arms, a coilover, a longer shaft for the CVs and possibly knuckles.
 

RamRod

Well-Known Member
Messages
3,914
Location
AB, Canada
I'd be very interested in seeing a rough guess of what kind of specs they are thinking of achieving.
 

Gunick

Well-Known Member
Messages
72
Location
Las Vegas
you should be able to run the rancho kit in conjuction with this kit. This kit is longer arms going into the stock location. The Rancho uses the stock mounting places just placed further away from the frame. This kit increases track width and thats how you get the travel. Bebe increased trackwidth to get more travel but to offset that she brought everything inward too. Basically This kit would be longer arms, a coilover, a longer shaft for the CVs and possibly knuckles.
This^^
 

MTUH3

Well-Known Member
Messages
315
Location
Plymouth, MI
Don't forget the longer arms could significantly change forces on the torsion bars and those might need to be replaced also.

You don't need coil overs to get into LT territory, but it would make the LCA much easier to fabricate.

3k might be a bit more than I could commit to, but would be interested....
 
Last edited:

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Messages
9,503
Location
Meridian, ID
Don't forget the longer arms could significantly change forces on the torsion bars and those might need to be replaced also

3k might be a bit more than I could commit to, but would be interested....

you ditch the torsion bars I think...You get coilovers :thumbs:
 

atvspeed4

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,211
Location
massachusetts
Is that a colorado in the pic? Keep us updated on this! I was going to trade the H3 in for a range rover sport again but this has me thinking twice...
 

MTUH3

Well-Known Member
Messages
315
Location
Plymouth, MI
Ha ha, problem is I already have some very expensive suspension plans on my pick-up. I have to sell this as "Maintenance" to the budget controller. All my front end bushing need to be replaced, so I can justify some upgrades, but not $3,000 worth. Will it keep 4x4 or will we have to switch to 2wd like the pic?

I was sent a link to a sweet truck that had torsion bars front and rear and ran Baja, from what I am learning they are a lot cooler than we give them credit for. One guy had a 3 stage progressive torsion bar
 
Last edited:

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Messages
9,503
Location
Meridian, ID
**** 2wd....lol

This will help with my front travel problem but I still have an ungearable POS front diff. I would have to improve that too...

But if you run a rancho kit in the front with this, get 12in of travel then spring over rear front and rear lockers 4:1 with 35s with I5 or 37s with an alpha you will have an unstoppable DD that can tackle most rock trails and desert stuff.
 

4speedfunk

Well-Known Member
Messages
4,250
Location
Tardville
You do realize that's a 2WD rig, don't you? Even if that could be adapted to the H3's 4WD layout...it would probably be based on the stock AAM-7 front axle. Seems like a bunch of effort considering you're still very limited by the 7" ring gear (too small) and 4.56 gearing (too high). I assume the coil-overs replace the torsion bars?

Beautiful looking a-arms BTW.
 

MTUH3

Well-Known Member
Messages
315
Location
Plymouth, MI
My thoughts exactly, but you might be 5 inches wider than stock track width by then. Have to figure out fender flares or tube fenders to clean things up
 

RamRod

Well-Known Member
Messages
3,914
Location
AB, Canada
But if you run a rancho kit in the front with this, get 12in of travel then spring over rear front and rear lockers 4:1 with 35s with I5 or 37s with an alpha you will have an unstoppable DD that can tackle most rock trails and desert stuff.

Even better yet a supercharged Alpha on 37's with 12 inch of travel......:drool:
 

High Five H2

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,627
Location
West Texas
how well does the 7.25 handle 35s? i really like the idea of this kit. i'd be willing to stick with the 7.25 just for the coil overs and wider track width.
 

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Messages
9,503
Location
Meridian, ID
the 7.6in diff can be held together if your easy on the pedal. I think the bigger issue is the case deflecting, atleast for me. I have broken 2 pinion gears and bebe, 4speed, jakesz28 and others explained to me that under load the the backlash gets thrown out and allowing it to destroy the gears. We currently have some ideas to keep this bastard in place and we will see how long it will last. For most people the 7.6 holds up just fine. I dont consider myself in the "normal off road abuse" category. I push my H3 extremely hard. Another issue is regearing. We cant go lower then 4.56 but you have an alpha so you can run 35s all day and not be begging for more power and you have 4.10s so you can regear. (alphas have 4.10s)

My opinion is just run with this kit as we have never had one like this before and work on the diff problem later. We have slowly been working out these issues. First was the steering rack now we have a kit for that. Next is travel, this is an opportunity to fix that. I have something that may help the diff issue. Ditching the crush sleeve for shims and cryo treating the front diff. Regear...well we arent there yet.
 

amrg

Well-Known Member
Messages
2,317
Location
Qatar
My thoughts exactly, but you might be 5 inches wider than stock track width by then. Have to figure out fender flares or tube fenders to clean things up

A rancho lift requires wheels that increase track width by up to 4 inches (due to decrease in backspacing). Currently I have wheels that stick out an extra 1.1 inches over stock (2.2 inches increase in track width) and the tires (35s) come flush with the stock flares at the rear. So an extra inch on each side wldnt be so bad?
 

Gunick

Well-Known Member
Messages
72
Location
Las Vegas
So the picture included is just a reference picture. It was sent because they wanted to give me an idea of what the kit would include. As far as the issue with the front dif, I highly highly doubt they'd address it. And honestly it's not something I personally am too worried about. Just like 06H3 said, we are all working on solutions for the issues we know the H3 has, this is an opportunity for more companies to create things we want and need! If we all support the companies that are willing to to do R&D for our rigs eventually more and more follow.
 
Top