Good luck on the Efan.... If you wanna see engine/trans temps past 230F in the summer go for it. Since removing it, and going back to the old original OEM setup the highest I've seen is 215F in extremely bad traffic vs 237F. Efan from a certain vendor DOES NOT properly cool an Alpha in the southern United States.
You can't get super sparks for the Alpha since it uses wires from the coil to plug, but I would replace them at the sametime as the plugs. I'm running Autolite Iridium XP's and they're working great.
With all my mods, Im doing 12 secs for 0-62 (but thats at summer temps of 125+). Used to get 9 secs at 65 degrees (during the winter) and before doing a radiator flush and changing my thermostats to the NEW and WORSE 192f ones (stock was 180f). So I guess check the intake/exhaust for any issues because your too low on performance.Now that I have my alpha i'm going to bring the thread back up. I'm getting 11.4 mpg with no tune, no idea when the oil was last changed, when the air filter was last changed, when the spark plugs were changed, and when the other fluids were changed. So, these are the steps i'm most likely going to take before the rancho comes in.
1. Oil Change with synthetic
2. AC Delco iridium plugs (I need the number)
3. New AFE dry air filter
4. Clean MAF and throttle body
5. Tune
6. Supersparks
7. Ported throttle body
8. Efan
Any thoughts? I'm most likely going to go through james from 355nation for the tune, efan, and ported throttle body. 500$ right? Does he make these items for the 5.3L?
Also my idle is great, but throttle response is lacking and acceleration is around 11.6 seconds from 0-60
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With all my mods, Im doing 12 secs for 0-62 (but thats at summer temps of 125+). Used to get 9 secs at 65 degrees (during the winter) and before doing a radiator flush and changing my thermostats to the NEW and WORSE 192f ones (stock was 180f). So I guess check the intake/exhaust for any issues because your too low on performance.
Personally, an intake and exhaust yeilded me 1 sec in acceleration (running 32s in approx 75 degrees). I clocked 8 secs 0-62 with 32" tires (9 secs before the mods).
Yes he is. I got my ptb, super sparks, efan, initial tune and hp tuners through him. He is very knowledgable on many subjects and the best thing he will help with whatever you need. Great guy can't say enough good about him. Btw his efan has kept my H3 cool all summer very rarely getting above half.Talked to James from supermod, he is very informative! And seems like a great guy. After talking to him I'll defiantly go that route. He is worried about the alphas engine temp going above 1/2 and all the up to 3/4 or 7/8. Isn't that just a known problem for alphas? The only code I have is this darn Evap leak.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The difference between easy bolt-on "performance" bought by guys and wrinkle cream bought by women is that the wrinkle cream actually works for two hours. If it doesn't dyno @ higher HP and at a useable RPM, it's just a way to separate you from your money.
My Alpha with an ARB Bumper, and Warn Winch runs cooler than my wife's 07 Adventure with the 3.7L going down the road!!! 70-75 in the Alpha with the OEM Clutch Fan setup is 203-207F tops (crappy efan was 213-237F.....). The Adventure (190 Thermostat) is 203-215F with the OEM Clutch Fan, and no winch or bumper...
Honestly I feel my wife's H3 has more zip because it's mainly stock, with the stock 285's, and just an AirDoc, and resonator removed. Now when it comes to passing someone or quick acceleration under load the Alpha smokes the I5 due to more torque. My Alpha is much heavier with all the mods, but once up to speed say on a road trip I can still get 13.5-14MPG. It's just the stop n start stuff that sucks fuel due to having to get 5K moving again.
An H3 is not going to win any drag races. My wife's old 04 GC 4x4 with the 4.7L made my Alpha with a 5.3L look like a pinto... The GC maybe weighed 3.2K vs 5.2k. However the H3 can kick a GC's butt off road!!!
Do a complete tune up, new wires, plugs, oil change, clean the MAF, throttle body, drop in some seafoam into the tank, and disconnect the battery so your PCM will retune with the clean/new parts.
I know this sounds stupid, but after changing all my H3's TC fluid with RP Max ATF they seem to coast much better. I noticed it after exiting the freeway, used to feel like an automatic brake when u let off the throttle, but after the RP in the TC it honestly seems to coast longer before bogging down.
The fan clutch on our Alpha's really hurts us in the summer months and bogs the engine down, but it is doing it's job of cooling the engine so ZERO complaints there vs the snake oil performance Efan!!! I won't ever go back to an Efan in an H3!!
Tune and ported throttle body for sure. This is a dual efan not just one. So i'm guessing it's going to work better than the sponsors. I got my oil changed and i'm in the process of a fuel treatment system right now. I have a DRY K&N filter in there they told me. It's a washable one.
The rancho is going to be 2200$ plus install i'm guessing 2-500$ but knowing my mechanic it'll probably be closer to 200. But I'll also have to order some shocks for around 800$ so I'm going to be strapped when it comes to performance. So most likely e-fan is a no.
I hit 3/4 or 7/8 on the temp when it's hot. I stay at around 1/2 when it's not blazing outside. This sounds about normal right?![]()
Btw my temps are with AC on. I'd check between the radiator/ac condenser for leaves, bugs, pine needleds, and mud. Had that make my jeep run hot a few times! When u get a scan gauge II you'll kbow the real temps, but as long as you aren't past the last white mark on the temp gauge you're ok. Midway between that and red was 237F.... In my Alpha!!
Are you hitting those higher temps with or without the A/C on? When i leave the A/C off and its hot I don't go past half, with the A/C on, that's another story.
As to the performance, the only complaint I have it low end throttle response, otherwise it is still quick enough and has enough get up and go, surprises other drivers sometimes too.
That's about the same as I get when I have my A/C on. The lag is horrible.It's with A/C on, and it seems like in the 0-60 the 0-20 kills the time. The mid and higher speeds seem to be just fine.