• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Performance Mods?

S

SedonaBound

Guest
a set of extractors make a difference
Yep. I recall a GM high performance cat-back exhaust being offered (rare) and I think Borla made one too, but I've never seen headers for either H3 engine.
 

Best4x4

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,042
Location
Vidor, TX
I had zero lag with the efan, but it also almost destroyed my rig!! I'll take a little lag vs that any day!!
 
Last edited:

amrg

Well-Known Member
Messages
2,317
Location
Qatar
Yep. I recall a GM high performance cat-back exhaust being offered (rare) and I think Borla made one too, but I've never seen headers for either H3 engine.
The borla cat back IS the GM Performance cat back. I bought mine direct from borla and they shipped with GM Performance stamped on it. They still have 1 or 2 available for clearance!
 
S

SedonaBound

Guest
The borla cat back IS the GM Performance cat back. I bought mine direct from borla and they shipped with GM Performance stamped on it. They still have 1 or 2 available for clearance!
What kind of improvement did you get? Too bad there's no YouTube of the sound of the Borla on a 5.3. (Hint!)
 

Best4x4

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,042
Location
Vidor, TX
Exhaust wise on an H3 you've got to replace all the pipe & get rid of the flat pipe sections, however when you look at it the flat sections are there for a reason. Either to give clearance for the tbar's, drive shaft, or tub clearance. If you replace the pipe with new larger round pipe you're either going to melt the carpet inside the cab, or cause clearance issues.

Without removing that OEM stuff adding a cat back or performance setup is kinda pointless. I do think GM went nuts with trying to make the I5 and the V8 be quiet for the luxury H3 Folks, but removing the resonator, and sticking a magnaflow or Flowmaster in it's place and deleting the rear muffler and just running straight pipe gives you a nicer sound for sure.
 

amrg

Well-Known Member
Messages
2,317
Location
Qatar
What kind of improvement did you get? Too bad there's no YouTube of the sound of the Borla on a 5.3. (Hint!)
I wont be able to upload a vid for a while, but basically it sounds abit louder. Inside the cab there is no drone, outside, it lets ppl know you have a V8.
Personally, I added a cat back with a K&N filter at the same time. Before and after difference was 1 sec in acceleration (0-62 running 32" tires)
 

derian06

Red Rockett
Messages
1,866
Location
Madison, AL
Wow I don't know what clicked with my engine, but after that oil change and fuel treatment my alpha's power is through the roof! I'm at 35 miles and i'm at more than 7/8 of a tank. I must have really needed that oil change.
 

derian06

Red Rockett
Messages
1,866
Location
Madison, AL
I think it was SP something, i had a shop do it thinking it was something special, it turns out it was the 20$ kit you can buy at autozone. They dump it in your fuel and then hook up a can with a hose to this port on your throttle body and it slowly gets sprayed in i'm guessing. i wish I could be more specific, but thats all I can remember.
 

humvee

Well-Known Member
Messages
507
Location
Doha, Qatar
I have most of these performance mods.

Borla Catback, Header, AirDoc, PCM tune... I'm now convinced that these bring a lot of extra power, but you really wont get any of it on the lower rpms, just after 4500 is where I feel it opens up completely.
They will help you save some fuel, provided you're driving it calmly, which for me is difficult.
 

derian06

Red Rockett
Messages
1,866
Location
Madison, AL
This plus 2.1 miles not too bad!
603ceb54edd7ff3a15a08ae61a96b9b4.jpg
 

CaseyS

Well-Known Member
Messages
755
Location
Louisiana
That's pretty terrible. 3/4 tank mark is about 7 gallons used. 1/2 tank mark is right at 12 gallons used, so you should be at at least 160-170 miles by that point.

You need to check your speedo against a GPS and adjust your driving style.

And to think you almost fell for that snake oil salesman that said you could get 18-24 mpg from a 6.0.

IMG_20140113_191209_972_zps363fa41d.jpg
 

derian06

Red Rockett
Messages
1,866
Location
Madison, AL
That's pretty terrible. 3/4 tank mark is about 7 gallons used. 1/2 tank mark is right at 12 gallons used, so you should be at at least 160-170 miles by that point.

You need to check your speedo against a GPS and adjust your driving style.

And to think you almost fell for that snake oil salesman that said you could get 18-24 mpg from a 6.0.

IMG_20140113_191209_972_zps363fa41d.jpg

My speedo is correct. I really hope there isn't something wrong with my alpha. As for driving, i granny it most of the time, then when i'm bored i floor it up to the speed limit. But very rarely. That mark is about 6-6.5 on my alpha. Atleast thats what i've noticed since I got it.
 
Last edited:
S

SedonaBound

Guest
I think it was SP something, i had a shop do it thinking it was something special, it turns out it was the 20$ kit you can buy at autozone. They dump it in your fuel and then hook up a can with a hose to this port on your throttle body and it slowly gets sprayed in i'm guessing. i wish I could be more specific, but thats all I can remember.
Sounds like BG 44 treatment. You can buy BG 44, but the closed system treatment by shops is far more effective for cleaning crud off the throttle body and mass air sensor than putting it in your gas.
 

Panzer07

Well-Known Member
Messages
2,548
Location
Ontario, CA
This plus 2.1 miles not too bad!
603ceb54edd7ff3a15a08ae61a96b9b4.jpg

This is about similar to my gas mileage I haven't have a tune tho for the 35's so it might a little better for a couple miles but not too much and I usually cruise at 30-35 in city.


Sent From Someone Else's iPhone 'Cause I'm Too Broke To Own One.
 
Top