• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

37"s

kflips

Well-Known Member
Messages
776
Location
Virginia
I know that it is not recommended and it stresses the drive train -- but has anyone ever put 37's on an H3 or H3T?? what kind of lift was needed and what other changes were needed to make it work??

Always have to ask about the limits to learn.
 

Hans3T

Lif"T"ed
Messages
3,035
Location
NC
I am not 100% sure, but I believe that 37"s can only be used in combination with either the Rancho or Tuff Country 4" lift, or a completely custom set-up like Recon or Bebe. As far as I know, both lifts recommend tire sizes of 35", but I believe 37"s have been run by some users of these lifts.
 

H3slate

Brush raked
Messages
983
Location
Tualatin, Oregon
I am not 100% sure, but I believe that 37"s can only be used in combination with either the Rancho or Tuff Country 4" lift, or a completely custom set-up like Recon or Bebe. As far as I know, both lifts recommend tire sizes of 35", but I believe 37"s have been run by some users of these lifts.

:thumbs:

Yep, you can fit 37's with the Rancho 4 in. lift. There was a member that ran 37's with the stock drive train, not sure how long that lasted. :roll:

Bebe has 38's with a custom lift and a new beefer front differential. Recon has 37's I think, again with a custom lift and a solid front axle.

Besides the added stress to the front differential that can barely handle 35's, 37's weigh a lot more than 35's, so your inline 5 is going to struggle even more to get you up to speed. Also the front diff cannot be regeared above the adventure package 4.56 gears, otherwise you could change gears to help your engine cope with the bigger tires.
 

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Messages
9,503
Location
Meridian, ID
lets not forget the daystar H3T, 37's on a 1 in body lift and some trimming...They ran behind the rocks in moab with that setup
 

kflips

Well-Known Member
Messages
776
Location
Virginia
Thanks for the inputs, 4" lift is a bit much for my blood -- what does "ran behind the rocks in moab" mean?
 

08SolarFlareH3

Super Swampers
Messages
2,525
Location
Finger Lakes, NY
Like others have said, Bebe runs 38's and Recon runs 37's but they are far far from stock (absolutely no disrespect to either of them because I can appreciated and understand all the work / fabrication that went into them but there just not my "cup of tea" even though they look sick. Maybe a bit to extreme for me would be a better way of putting it, although I have contemplated picking up 2006 base model Shadow Green H3 with a 5 speed for a trail rig adding a 1" body lift and run 37's to see how it goes. My guess is the front end wont hold up (diff, half shafts, tie rods, steering rack) and then when the time comes do a budget leaf sprung Dana 44 SAS/SAC similar to what 4speedfunk/Thorparts is planning. There have been several Rancho and Tuff Country lifts running 37's (Rancho says 37's will fit but Tuff Country “claims” only 35's but we can fit them already with out a lift). The easiest way to run 37's would be a 1" Daystar body lift. Your not going to gain any ground clearance other then the 1” from the increased tire size. They were selling as cheap as $100 on eBay a while back but I think he sold out. The Daystar H3T (like 06H3 mentioned) only had a 1" body lift and torsion keys (but t-bar crank would do the same) and was running 37x13.50R16 Interco SS-M16. They had a few small problems at MOAB but nothing catastrophic (I read it on a jeep forum, don't remember if it was a half shaft or tierod).

Anyways enough talk and onto some pictures.
_MG_8789.jpg

_MG_8792.jpg

3020126479_14f7685a1a_b.jpg

daystar.jpg

daystar2.jpg

DSC01922.jpg

DSC01923.jpg

DSC01924.jpg

DSC01925.jpg

h3-t.jpg

hummer20header.jpg

modified_hummer_h3t_1.jpg

modified_hummer_h3t_2.jpg

modified_hummer_h3t_3.jpg

yhst-66365157547983_2136_105713019.gif

yhst-66365157547983_2149_7587128.jpg
 
Last edited:

08SolarFlareH3

Super Swampers
Messages
2,525
Location
Finger Lakes, NY
:thumbs:

Yep, you can fit 37's with the Rancho 4 in. lift. There was a member that ran 37's with the stock drive train, not sure how long that lasted. :roll:

Bebe has 38's with a custom lift and a new beefer front differential. Recon has 37's I think, again with a custom lift and a solid front axle.

Besides the added stress to the front differential that can barely handle 35's, 37's weigh a lot more than 35's, so your inline 5 is going to struggle even more to get you up to speed. Also the front diff cannot be regeared above the adventure package 4.56 gears, otherwise you could change gears to help your engine cope with the bigger tires.
Alpha + 4.56 gears out of an I5 = :)

I think MU will be doing something like this in the near future with Mr.Blue?
 

08SolarFlareH3

Super Swampers
Messages
2,525
Location
Finger Lakes, NY
Daystar H3T videos from MOAB :whaa:
[video=youtube;XGug8thaqcY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGug8thaqcY[/video]
[video=youtube;LqoC7QWgJjI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqoC7QWgJjI[/video]
[video=youtube;vGSDGtZph_c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGSDGtZph_c[/video]
 

Scarsman

Sponsor
Messages
1,561
Location
Monroe, WA
That last video! :whaa: That is a little more than I want to do to my daily driver truck. I refer to keep it rolling on the wheels rather than just sliding/bouncing to the bottom.
 

gfbh3t

Well-Known Member
Messages
140
Location
Lockport, NY
Kflips if you want to make me Jealous? Call Ridge Demon get some 4.56 gears front and rear, get the Rancho 4" lift and the Daystar 1" body lift, crank the torsion bars slightly, add the 37's. Then you would have the best H3T on the planet. And if you break a tie rod or a cv shaft once in a while big f ing deal it is only a part, and it can be fixed.
 

05Mudiak

Well-Known Member
Messages
731
Location
Lake Charles, LA
I have read more than once the 4.56 installed in an Alpha will break fairly quick. they are to weak/thin for the torque the motor puts out with the transfer case in low (or something like that). The best bet I would is get the adventure transfer case and keep the stock gears n the alphs
 

4speedfunk

Well-Known Member
Messages
4,250
Location
Tardville
Agreed. A seven-inch ring gear is too small for 6000lbs on 37"s. Throw the V8 into the equation and its almost a guarantee that you'll be breaking stuff on the trails. Its simple math...there's just not enough "meat" on the teeth to handle the power you'll putting into it. Breakage can be avoided by realizing that you're pushing (or already past) the design limits. And keeping your foot out of it will do wonders for the longevity...but we all know thats very hard to do.

The bigger issue (for me at least) is the lack of power on the highway. Low speed performance doesn't really seem to be effected by bigger tires...I've never felt like I needed more gear, especially with the 4:1 low-range. But, on the highway...its a different story! My 3.7L really struggles when I get into hills, and it will downshift and rev to the moon to maintain 65mph. Frankly...its annoying as hell. I think there is a guy in Alaska that is running 37"s with a 5-cly...I can't recall his forum name. He might be able to shed some light on this.

I'm gonna swap to 5.13s over the winter and see how that works. If it ends up too low with the 35"s...I'll up-size to 37"s. Hopefully this will return my rig to near-stock performance levels. It might have to sit outside however...(too tall to fit in the garage).
 
Top