• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

37"s

atvspeed4

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,211
Location
massachusetts
Man... you're already lifted... that would be like cheating. :)

For $75 or so though, it's hard to justify not doing.


Portager, mine hits the plastic where the mudflap was on the front tire, and scrubs the inner fender at full stuff in the rear.

It's not a big deal, but there is SOME benefit. (I had said the same thing before giving it much thought, body lift seems counter to what I want to do on my truck.)

It would give me 1" more rock clearance at the body, between the tires. Not having sliders, that's a big benefit, and even after I do get them, I'd get a set built 1" higher.

Exactly! That why I always install bodylifts on my vehicles, gives me that little extra clearance but barely increases center of gravity.
 

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
Messages
1,506
Location
Silverado
Portager, mine hits the plastic where the mudflap was on the front tire, and scrubs the inner fender at full stuff in the rear.

Are you running the stock backspace? I had issues with the 305/70R16 and the AR wheels that had 0.85" lower backspace than stock, but once I switched to the Hutchinsons, which have stock backspace I've had no trouble. It could be a difference between the H3T and the H3 I don't know.
 

backcountryislife

Well-Known Member
Messages
858
Location
Dumont, CO
Are you running the stock backspace? I had issues with the 305/70R16 and the AR wheels that had 0.85" lower backspace than stock, but once I switched to the Hutchinsons, which have stock backspace I've had no trouble. It could be a difference between the H3T and the H3 I don't know.


I'm running pro comp steels... they're a little different.

I'm also running shackles in the rear, and different shocks, which gives me more flex... That's also a factor.

Honestly, I always thought body lifts were silly, but talking to more people, I started understanding that they do what I'm looking for... add space for more flex, increase between tire clearance, and do it without increasing COG very much... so I'm going to give it a shot.
 

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
Messages
1,506
Location
Silverado
I'm running pro comp steels... they're a little different.

I'm also running shackles in the rear, and different shocks, which gives me more flex... That's also a factor.

Honestly, I always thought body lifts were silly, but talking to more people, I started understanding that they do what I'm looking for... add space for more flex, increase between tire clearance, and do it without increasing COG very much... so I'm going to give it a shot.

I'll watch intently from over here!
 

ZachH3

Well-Known Member
Messages
57
Location
South Africa
Great guys, thanks for the input. I totally agree, even if it is just for the ground clearance. One more question..... Way only go for 1" lift if you could do a 3 or 4" once???? The COG could not be affected with only the 2" more hight???? :huh:
 

backcountryislife

Well-Known Member
Messages
858
Location
Dumont, CO
With a body lift, since you're splitting your truck in 1/2 per se, 2" is the highest you'd want to go. #1, bigger would look silly, #2, the longer you make the body mount bolts the more stress will be on them. You don't want to take that too far really.
 

reaper

Well-Known Member
Messages
527
Location
Denver, Colorado
Great guys, thanks for the input. I totally agree, even if it is just for the ground clearance.

Ok, this is a dumb question I think... but... how does a body lift give you more clearance? Doesn't the frame sit the same???? The only benefit would be more flex clearance IF that's a limiting factor, which I need to compare when my rig is put back together. Yeah I'm disconnecting, need to see what that looks like with the Rancho. (Oh, and one inch more of badd-assery... which is TOTALLY worth it.)
 

abearden

Well-Known Member
Messages
609
Location
N. Idaho
Ok, this is a dumb question I think... but... how does a body lift give you more clearance? Doesn't the frame sit the same???? The only benefit would be more flex clearance IF that's a limiting factor, which I need to compare when my rig is put back together. Yeah I'm disconnecting, need to see what that looks like with the Rancho. (Oh, and one inch more of badd-assery... which is TOTALLY worth it.)
But the frame is a small section in the middle, end-to-end. A body lift would raise the bits that reach further to the sides and the corners. Not much more clearance, and not across-the-board clearance coverage, but more clearance.
 

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Messages
9,503
Location
Meridian, ID
The only place you can gain clearance is the rockers and that's if you dont have sliders or custom sliders to add to that height you gained
 

backcountryislife

Well-Known Member
Messages
858
Location
Dumont, CO
The only place you can gain clearance is the rockers and that's if you dont have sliders or custom sliders to add to that height you gained


Rockers & clearance for the wheels that is. For me, that is the main thing, ability to add more flex. Currently I've got the bar pin eliminators on the rear shocks, which drop them by an inch. with a body lift I could get rid of that, then buy some shocks that are 2" longer, giving me more up & down travel (more up on one side, even with springs at the same point means more down on the other) The shocks I've got are the limiting factor in my flex right now, not the springs.
 

4speedfunk

Well-Known Member
Messages
4,250
Location
Tardville
Just scored some new 37" KM2s yesterday at the Indy 4x4 Jamboree. $1600 cash for four, including two guys in golf carts delivering them to my Suburban in the parking lot. I'll get em mounted tomorrow and post some pics.

BTW...I'll be looking to unload my nice low-milage 35" KM2s.

:)
 

4speedfunk

Well-Known Member
Messages
4,250
Location
Tardville
Installed! Here's the new 37 compared to the 35...
DSC_0004.JPGDSC_0005.JPG

They seem to fill up the wheel wells a tad better. They make my truck look "not so tall" but, in reality...it does sit taller...
DSC_0008.JPGDSC_0009.JPGDSC_0010.JPG

Ahh yes...the final test. Just barely fits!...
View attachment 6553View attachment 6554View attachment 6555View attachment 6556

The 35s are for sale...see the H40 swap meet page...
http://www.hummer4x4offroad.com/forum/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=6
 

4speedfunk

Well-Known Member
Messages
4,250
Location
Tardville
37" TIRE UPDATE! I forgot to mention performance...

In case anyone is wondering...37"s and 5.13s equate to exactly 2000rpm at 60mph. I cannot remember exactly...but I think this is very close to how it came from the dealer. I had PCM4Less re-flash my puter to accommodate the lower gearing and larger tire size...and this arrangement seems to work real good with the 5-cylinder. Don't assume (like I did) that installing 5.13 gears will make your truck less street-able. In fact...just the opposite is true! It feels very much like it did off the showroom. Apparently the 3.7L has a very narrow "torque window", and I'm glad to be running back within the proper rpm range.

I cannot say for sure but, the Alpha guys might be able to get by with 37"s and 4.88s.
 

mudbug

trail blazer
Messages
232
Location
Brighton,Co
37" TIRE UPDATE! I forgot to mention performance...

In case anyone is wondering...37"s and 5.13s equate to exactly 2000rpm at 60mph. I cannot remember exactly...but I think this is very close to how it came from the dealer. I had PCM4Less re-flash my puter to accommodate the lower gearing and larger tire size...and this arrangement seems to work real good with the 5-cylinder. Don't assume (like I did) that installing 5.13 gears will make your truck less street-able. In fact...just the opposite is true! It feels very much like it did off the showroom. Apparently the 3.7L has a very narrow "torque window", and I'm glad to be running back within the proper rpm range.

I cannot say for sure but, the Alpha guys might be able to get by with 37"s and 4.88s.

Dang you, able to run 37s just isn't fair.:gaah:
 

SC_Hummer_Guy

Mr. Sexy Sugar Britches
Messages
264
Location
North Charleston, SC; Angel Fire, NM
So this may sound rather retarded as I'm not much mechanically inclined. I blame a few things for this but we won't go into that.

Anyways at the end of this month I am having a 6.2L V8 engine swap done from Mash Motors, and after reading through this whole thread again I feel confident in assuming that with the extra power I will have to compensate for larger tires, would a 4.56 CI Diff w/ Locker up front be an okay match to run 37's?!? Maybe I'm an idiot for asking this but I figured I'd ask this and just let the chips fall where they may about this!

If your wondering the swap is going into a 2006 H3 that's also getting a 4:1 swap into it as well.
 

4speedfunk

Well-Known Member
Messages
4,250
Location
Tardville
Diesels operate at a much lower rpm and a much wider range...so you might be okay with 4.56s. Hope you got plans for a beefier front axle. It can barely take the stock motor, much less a diesel. Regardless, it sounds like an awesome swap. There's a guy here in my neighborhood that wants to put a Cummins B-series (4-cyl) diesel in his H3.
 
Last edited:
Top